XF 2.0 I broke everything, need some suggestions on how to proceed.

VergilPrime

So I may have (definitely have) made a huge mistake.

Basically I thought Xenforo was going to be the Forums part of my website, turns out I think it's going to be most of the website. (This software is very good.)

My blunder was thinking that in order to fill the "home page gap" I had created at www.Angels-Reach.com I could simply unload the forums/ directory I had made into /var/www/html/. This of course broke literally every part of Xenforo.

I have a patch in place (creating a symlink at /var/www/html/forums/ which points to /var/www/html/) which has fixed the website for now, however I'd like to properly fix everything.

Do I need to reinstall Xenforo and all of my add-ons and themes? Can I simply change a few lines of code? Should I just move everything back to forums/ and figure out something else? I'm open to any suggestions.

What element broke specifically?

If you're moving an install, all you need to do is move all of the files and directories within your XF root directory (/var/www/html/forums/) to the new location (/var/www/html) and change the board URL in the control panel. Because your directory name "forums" does interfere with normal XF URLs, you would also want to delete (or rename) that directory. Everything should still work then.

I had some problems accessing the control panel once the files were moved. Actually I couldn't login, but my patch should make that possible.

Edit: I changed the board url and deleted my symlink, but once again clicking on my name to log in/out displays a message "Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console." and clicking on any link gives me 500. The console error is also 500.

Last edited:
You may need to restart your web server/PHP server. It's possible your opcache files still think they're in the old location.

It's as Mike said - you just need to:
  1. move all of the files from the forum directory to the root
  2. delete the now empty forum directory
  3. update the Board URL in the ACP

I already tried this, my steps were:
  1. Move files to root directory, delete root/forums/ directory
  2. Create symlink at root/forums/ (as I can't update the board url if none of the website works)
  3. update the board url
  4. delete the symlink
  5. restart the machine

After all this I was still getting 500 errors.

Right now it is showing the following two permissions errors:

XenForo 2.0.11 - Errors

The following errors occurred while verifying that your server can run XenForo:
  • The directory /var/www/html/data must be writable. Please change the permissions on this directory to be world writable (chmod 0777). If the directory does not exist, please create it.
  • The directory /var/www/html/internal_data must be writable. Please change the permissions on this directory to be world writable (chmod 0777). If the directory does not exist, please create it.
Please correct these errors and try again.

Create symlink at root/forums/ (as I can't update the board url if none of the website works)
There's something wrong at the server level if you can't access the site.

The Board URL has no bearing on being able to load the front end or ACP - it is primarily used for links in emails.

Caching would be the most obvious thing to look into.

Top Bottom