My forum has 290K users and 30M posts and I need some suggestions

In today's world, you can purchase droplets with 96GB or RAM for very little money, so I can't find a reason doing it, not to mention that SSD drives are decreasing their write/read speeds when you abuse them (and whatever you're offering is kind of an abuse for an SSD).

I still prefer Sphinx. Much lighter. ES is working on Java and Java is crap overall.

Not had a single issue with ES and Java on our servers. Much prefer the simplicity of ES and its setup process.

Reactions: Xon
I wouldn't say it was crap, but it's a whole other layer on top of LAMP / LNMP and that's surely an overhead?

Please tell me who sells VMs with 96GB of ram for less than $20 per month. Because that 20 USD per month is what a 2gb VM costs from Linode.
I don't see a difference between $20 and $80/month when it comes to servers. These are the same peanuts, but it depends on your total budget/what do you do with your forums. If you're occupying 40GB of SSD, I can assume your forum is making money, so putting some money back is eventually a good thing in the long run....

Not had a single issue with ES and Java on our servers. Much prefer the simplicity of ES and its setup process.
I basically don't like it because:
1. It consumes more RAM/disk space
2. ES is disabling the search on your forum once your disk is 90% full (at lest this what happened to me many time when I had to generate a temporarily backup on my own server).
3. It's not flexible in terms of editing the code/adding things into it like Sphinx.
4. Sphinx is much more mature/longer on the "market"/is used in many other platforms such as Magento.

But of course, anything would be better than MySQL's search.

Fair enough. Each person has their own requirements and needs. ES has been great for us and we have no complaints. Ram is cheap these days, if you stay with dedicated servers. Linode and DO are still proud of their ram prices though.

RAM is cheap, if you have the time and willingness to manage your own server. I pay about $10/1GB RAM since I have no time to manage my own server it terms of upgrades/security updates and so on, so some people pay a lot of money for RAM, especially on managed services (which is most of us I guess).

I just wanted to add in that probably 90% of posts are not even viewed on a regular basis, since they are years old. Surely that lowers the memory requirements?

Top Bottom