Need a good shared hosting provider...

=MGN=RedEagle

Hi guys,

I am looking for a good shared hosting provider. Anyone have a suggestion? Good support is important. I also do not like scams etc.

I like my phone support. Does Hawk Host have it?
Here is my recommended list. Everything in bold offers shared hosting

* Current approved list
**Exploratory list
* I've used them, tested them, and would recommend them.

** I'm exploring their services now and will report back at a later time

+1 for steadfast. I sold them a VPS company a few years back - very top notch operation and excellent staff. Ended up having a server with them for about a year and couldnt fault them.

Avoid the likes of HostGator, HostMonster and any of the other "UNLIMITED FOR ONLY $0.0001" crap hosts. They impose limits on your account that will force you to upgrade a lot sooner than you'd normally have to. Bargain bin hosts are just terrible.

Also, if you're going for one in the UK, avoid all the 'big' brands - big UK hosts tend to be crap. The likes of 1&1, 123Reg, FastHost, HeartInternet, etc are terrible.

My top 3 would be: (in no particular order)

- Steadfast
- HostDime (awesome support)
- Hivelocity

I like them but due to some issues I have with their TOS, I cannot host with them.
Out of curiosity, what is it that you don't agree with? I did skim through their TOS when signing up, and there weren't any warning flags for me there, so I never read it thoroughly, but would be interested on what I should take a second look at.

Out of curiosity, what is it that you don't agree with? I did skim through their TOS when signing up, and there weren't any warning flags for me there, so I never read it thoroughly, but would be interested on what I should take a second look at.
I'm not the OP but I'd personally be worried about their very limited resources. For example:

User may not:
1) Use 25% or more of system resources for longer then 90 seconds. There are numerous activities that could cause such problems; these include: CGI scripts, FTP, PHP, HTTP, etc.
2) Run stand-alone, unattended server-side processes at any point in time on the server.
8) Run cron entries with intervals of less than 15 minutes.
9) Run any MySQL queries longer than 15 seconds. MySQL tables should be indexed appropriately.

HostGator is well known for closing (and deleting) accounts without any notice - I certainly wouldn't trust them to host anything I cared about. Obviously very light and static sites will be fine, but you'll have problems with their shared/reseller hosting if you start putting forums on there that have any form of regular activity.

Google them and you'll see some of the horror stories. They are no better than the scum that is GoDaddy IMO.

HostGator is well known for closing (and deleting) accounts without any notice - I certainly wouldn't trust them to host anything I cared about. Obviously very light and static sites will be fine, but you'll have problems with their shared/reseller hosting if you start putting forums on there that have any form of regular activity.
I did check them out before signing up, as I was very unhappy with my current host (too much downtime). I feel that the resource issue is present with most shared hosts, though some might be worse than others. I have been with them for almost a year, and so far I have no complaints at all. I can live with those limitations, due to their prices.

Top Bottom