1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need a good shared hosting provider...

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by =MGN=RedEagle, Nov 8, 2012.

1. =MGN=RedEagle

=MGN=RedEagle Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I am looking for a good shared hosting provider. Anyone have a suggestion? Good support is important. I also do not like scams etc.

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

Steadfast Cloud?
    http://steadfast.net/services/cloudhosting.php

3. =MGN=RedEagle

I don't think that is shared hosting.

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hostgator's Business Plan is very good.

5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

6. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Well-Known Member

Good shared hosting is hard to find especially in a Cloud Computing Era

7. =MGN=RedEagle

I like them but due to some issues I have with their TOS, I cannot host with them.

8. =MGN=RedEagle

I like my phone support. Does Hawk Host have it?

9. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Here is my recommended list. Everything in bold offers shared hosting

* Current approved list
    **Exploratory list
    * I've used them, tested them, and would recommend them.

** I'm exploring their services now and will report back at a later time

10. rexxxy

rexxxy Active Member

hostmonster.com was pretty good when I used them and they provide phone support

11. Nudaii

Nudaii Well-Known Member

I like hostfolks unmanged vps, pretty good little packages

12. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

+1 for steadfast. I sold them a VPS company a few years back - very top notch operation and excellent staff. Ended up having a server with them for about a year and couldnt fault them.

Avoid the likes of HostGator, HostMonster and any of the other "UNLIMITED FOR ONLY $0.0001" crap hosts. They impose limits on your account that will force you to upgrade a lot sooner than you'd normally have to. Bargain bin hosts are just terrible.

Also, if you're going for one in the UK, avoid all the 'big' brands - big UK hosts tend to be crap. The likes of 1&1, 123Reg, FastHost, HeartInternet, etc are terrible.

My top 3 would be: (in no particular order)

- Steadfast
    - HostDime (awesome support)
    - Hivelocity

13. euantor

euantor Well-Known Member

I'm a big fan of http://webfaction.com - it's shared but you get SSH access too as well as several other neat perks.

14. =MGN=RedEagle

Thanks so much guys.

15. SneakyDave

SneakyDave Well-Known Member

I still use Futurequest.net for a shared hosting account. Been around a long time, great support.

http://futurequest.net/

16. MagnusB

MagnusB Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, what is it that you don't agree with? I did skim through their TOS when signing up, and there weren't any warning flags for me there, so I never read it thoroughly, but would be interested on what I should take a second look at.

17. RickM

RickM Well-Known Member

I'm not the OP but I'd personally be worried about their very limited resources. For example:

HostGator is well known for closing (and deleting) accounts without any notice - I certainly wouldn't trust them to host anything I cared about. Obviously very light and static sites will be fine, but you'll have problems with their shared/reseller hosting if you start putting forums on there that have any form of regular activity.

Google them and you'll see some of the horror stories. They are no better than the scum that is GoDaddy IMO.

Adam Howard and MagnusB like this.
  18. MagnusB

MagnusB Well-Known Member

I did check them out before signing up, as I was very unhappy with my current host (too much downtime). I feel that the resource issue is present with most shared hosts, though some might be worse than others. I have been with them for almost a year, and so far I have no complaints at all. I can live with those limitations, due to their prices.

19. wiseman

wiseman New Member

@FaithFirst
    For shared hosting I suggest you XnYnZ.com .They are good in Service and Support.They provide Unlimited Band Width also 99.9% Uptime Guarantee.

20. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

Morgain and Ernest L. Defoe like this.