native wiki

dvsDave

The biggest blank spot in both VB and IPB is their lack of a native wiki product.

I want a wiki product with multiple namespaces and autolinking of terms from the the forums to the wiki entry. I also want to be able to see a list of terms in the wiki displayed like the memberlist on vb. (characters listed in a row across the top)

You provide that and an import from vbulletin and I'll move in a heartbeat.

Upvote 43
Yes, instead of trying to make a wiki from the ground up, just have a user class that can do moderated edits by anyone, or just a certain user class, or rep points, etc. This inline style of wiki at the site slickdeals.net is what I'm shooting for but that plugin was abandoned. But I also want to limit what's visible to guests so that they have to sign up to view all of it or view posts by "wikisubscription".

Ok....really stupid question. What is the benefit if a wiki in a forum.

I am not saying it is a bad idea, I just don't understand. What does it bring to the table?

The possibility of providing some advertising revenue is one thing. Helps you pull feedback from user-generated content into one place and organise and edit it to make it worthwhile coming back to. People will tolerate a discrete level of advertising somewhere where the content is good. If you've got the option of either advertising or paid access to the wiki via a subscription manager that gives you more options. And if you had an option to divert some of the revenue via your subscription manager to the editor doing the editing that would be even better.

If you've got a wiki plug in that works then for example rather than me having to search Xenforo.com to see whether anybody's considering developing a wiki for example ..... :) But seriously...if there's any particular business, social or hobby interest that anyone has for which they might have a need for ongoing up to date information edited by a reliable editor rather than having to search a forum then that has a value.

Here is a very good integrations of MediaWiki into vbulletin complete with SSO and skin integration. It would be nice if this hack is ported to xenForo. The complexity of the wiki markup can be tackled by using the fckEditor integration. I have it sucessfully running on my Urdu forum.

Here is a very good integrations of MediaWiki into vbulletin complete with SSO and skin integration. It would be nice if this hack is ported to xenForo. The complexity of the wiki markup can be tackled by using the fckEditor integration. I have it sucessfully running on my Urdu forum.

How does it handle tables? My wiki pages tend to use tables quite a lot, and the whole markup in them seems to scare off the users. I've tried looking for a grid or something to use instead, but have not managed to find one yet.

But yeah, if the hack above is the one made by bepe, I use that as well.

The above mentioned hack integrates a normal MediaWiki installation, that means the tables are also done using the wiki markup. Howerver you can conceal the complexity of the wiki markup to some extent by using the fckEditor plugin for MediaWiki. The users can create tables in a more or less wysiwyg manner using the fckEditor whereas it generates the wiki markup behind the scenes.

A wiki.
Hm.

I don`t see any purpose for wiki out of the box, as for now (in first line on suggestions and wishes). There is a lot of good systems for that.

But integration for auth would be pleasant.

Besides NuWiki, any suggestion on a light weight wiki system that may work with XF. I don't count on an integration will be available soon so I'm looking for a replacement of mediawiki.
There is no reason to use the full-pledge wiki for only a 100 or so articles.

Besides NuWiki, any suggestion on a light weight wiki system that may work with XF. I don't count on an integration will be available soon so I'm looking for a replacement of mediawiki.
There is no reason to use the full-pledge wiki for only a 100 or so articles.
This request has been resolved...

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/8wayrun-com-xencarta-lite-wiki.7589/

I wrote this mod because I've been very unhappy with every Wiki modification for VB I have ever used... that includes MediaWiki, NuWiki and yes, even VaultWiki.

Yes. Your new wiki mod looks extremely promising. I plan to use it.

What are the shortcomings of this and what are plans for future features?
For one thing, there are no ParserFunctions... for me that is the biggest shortcoming... and I don't plan on adding this feature either anytime soon. For the next thing, there is currently no category/tag system.

Other than that, I can't think of any other shortcomings. The caching system I have implemented already makes this mod blow the other Wikis out of the water... but I could just be egotistical.

Future features will be based on requests... The only request I have in right now is for a category/tag system.

Jaxel,
Great job. You call your wiki Lite so do we expect to see a Full/Pro version?

Can we set the wiki to be editable by non-registered members?

Can you elaborate on the caching system? Do you use the server opcode cache or this is something else?

Jaxel, congrats on such a good wiki.
Is a WYSIWYG editor an Option ?
The editor for the wiki uses the built in XenForo editor... doesn't that do WYSIWYG for you? It does it for me...

Jaxel,
Great job. You call your wiki Lite so do we expect to see a Full/Pro version?

Can we set the wiki to be editable by non-registered members?

Can you elaborate on the caching system? Do you use the server opcode cache or this is something else?
I don't plan on releasing a Full/Pro version. Its not a "Wiki Lite", its a "Lite Wiki"; significant difference. Its my intention to keep the Wiki for free till EOL, and any new features I add will continue to be free. If I started changing for it, I would be required to handle support in a much more thorough manner, and right now I'm just not ready for that as I'm one person. I do however charge for the copyright removal.

Right now there is nothing in place to allow non-registered users to do edits... You can set it so that non-registered users can see the edit page, but if they click submit, they will get an error... and there is also no captcha.

The caching system does not use any server opcode cache or any pre-installed software. The cache is actually pretty simple and is designed to restrict the need of template building each and every time the page is loaded... Its nothing more than a simple parsed database entry with the HTML already calculated.

Okay... I have just added captcha support to the wiki... in the next version you will be able to permit non-registered users to edit/create pages... instead of a "username", it will store their IP address.

Okay... I have just added captcha support to the wiki... in the next version you will be able to permit non-registered users to edit/create pages... instead of a "username", it will store their IP address.
Perfect. It's just what we need.
If they are not logged in, can you display a log in box, FB login and the Edit as Guest box?
This will give people the option to sign up with their FB or if they want more privacy, just their IP

Ok wiki fans ....
Jaxel was looking to make is great wiki even greater.
Anyone got any feature requests ?

Post them here --> XenCarta

If anyone wants a KILLER document wiki ... could they PM me ?
I'd like to gauge interest in such a beast as well as what features people want and don't want.
Thanks in advance.

Thank you everyone for a lively discussion that has been infinitely more informative than a dozen "10 best wiki platform" articles. My further comments:

1. I have to agree that MediaWiki / Wikipedia is below par for user-friendliness... but... I just tried demos of other stand-alone wikis, none of them seem much easier except DokuWiki which uses a limited "flat file" database... For a non-forum stand-alone, might as well go with the one that is best known perhaps.

2. NuWiki sounds good but costs $75-150/month or $14,000 outright. Slightly pricey. Ahem. In spite of which, their website loads incredibly slowly, at least today. Not a good sign.

4. How are you all doing with XenCarta? Is it as good as Vault Wiki--which has a good reputation and is soon to have an XF bridge...?

5. At any rate, you all have convinced me that every forum-community as well as blog-community should have an integrated wiki, even if only to develop a few subjects pertaining to the community. Thank you JAXEL for making this possible. Happy New Year to all.

Top Bottom