MySQli?

Berty Bassett

I saw on one of the many pages here that XenForo needs MySQLi instead of just MySQL...

I'm not sure whether my host has this or not - but the test script says my server meets ALL requirements (my current MySQL is 5.2.12 - a few above the minimal MySQL needed).

Is the MySQLi imperative or is it 'preferred'? If I don't have MySQLi - what impact will it have on running the XenForo software?

Thanks, Brogan. My experience and abilities are somewhat limited compared to many here - but I usually manage to follow the gist of things well enough to get by.

What I seem to be reading in that thread is that the i-extension is necessary (i.e. XenForo will not function without it) and it can be done by either directly installing MySQLi via yummy (the route I'll have to take) or by using some kind of PHP extension which, I gather, acts as a translator between the software and the traditional MySQL.

If I were end up paying the $50 installation fee (I've always managed to install VB and other online products without a need for installation services), would that cover resolving the MySQLi issue either via yummy or via PHP extensions?

The installation service only covers the software.
A XenForo representative will install the latest version on your server, provided it meets the requirements. This does not include PHP or MySQL installation.

You will need to ensure your server meets the requirements yourself, if you were to purchase installation.

Ahh well, looks like I'm out of luck on this one :(

Dear Berty, (Customer ID: xxxxxxx)

Thank you for contacting us.

MySQLi is not something that 1&1 supports and we, therefore, have no documentation on it. Any software that you install is done so at your own risk.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

--
Sincerely,

Meh no problem...but most people who talk crap about HG I find sell their own server space or know someone who does...and don't play nice so I don't listen to them anyways. :)

Meh no problem...but most people who talk crap about HG I find sell their own server space or know someone who does...and don't play nice so I don't listen to them anyways. :)
And those are generally the ones who know more about whether a service is worthwhile or not.

Also the majority of those posts either didn't suggest a new place, or if they did it was somewhere that was well known and didn't have any reward for them suggesting them.

And those are generally the ones who know more about whether a service is worthwhile or not.

Also the majority of those posts either didn't suggest a new place, or if they did it was somewhere that was well known and didn't have any reward for them suggesting them.
I can show you the post from a forum from when I started with HG ...I have not had a problem since then that I didn't cause.

I also don't get a reward for suggesting hostgator...in fact I am an affiliate and do not try to make money for myself as an affiliate because I don't need a reward for helping someone get service that works. I don't care what someone chooses...I guess that is the difference in my suggestion and theirs...I have nothing invested in the prospective webmasters decision.

If you sell something that another company sells how can I trust your opinion of that other company....think about it..if you are pepsi saying coke is garbage...yeah that's impartial:rolleyes:. If a friend or partner sells hosting it is the same thing.

I am pretty sure the services(i receive) are worth it and don't need someone who makes money off of hosting to be the only one worthy of an opinion...in fact it is the complete opposite. I have less reason to trust ANYONE that makes money off of hosting telling me what they think of what, rather than independent real world people.

Also don't forget it is not hard to make a new nick and ally-oop sales...I have seen it already. So saying someone has nothing to gain off it is not something you can determine or not...unless you see the facts first. The fact is I got my first HG account 5 years ago and never has my server gone down because of them. To argue with that is completely crazy. 5 years 100% uptime...hmm...doesn't sound to bad to me. In fact HG uses hardware in the same datacenter as xenforo at softlayer I believe. I can be wrong there but I believe that is where this site is hosted.

Anyways like I said no one is less qualified to tell you what is bad that has a vested interest in the outcome of where your money goes.

Yah, I would have thought it standard too, but apparently not so for my current host.

Do you have any recommendations for affordable & reliable VPS hosts that support MySQLi ?

1&1 ;) I assume you are on a shared package for the moment?

If you run your own VPS just install mysqli

If your not sure how, I can do it for you for a minor fee.

Did you mention to 1&1 this is a PHP module and its part of the Zend Framework that many modern web applications are built on?

The front level tech support might be under the impression that this is a new version of MySQ and not just a PHP module.

Hi guys, I think I was misinformed by my support.. tsk tsk.

Anyway, I am running a VB installation (well, three, all legal) and on one of them I spotted something that made me think I had mysqli installed. So I checked the phpinfo and (accounting it all means rubbish to me) it seems to be saying that mysqli is indeed active on my hosting account.

Given this, I edited my config.php for one of the sites to run in mysqli instead of mysql - and it worked just fine (and continues to do so 24hrs on)...

Here's one of the clues that I'm running mysqli, taken from phpinfo page:

HTML:
MysqlI Support    enabled
Client API library version    5.0.90
Client API header version    5.0.89
MYSQLI_SOCKET    /a/location/mysql/blahblah/mysql.sock

Can anyone confirm that given my VB config.php is set to mysqli and the above code-quote, whether or not I have mysqli?

Top Bottom