1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 MySQL Password Error

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Captured Enigma, May 13, 2015.

1. Captured Enigma

Captured Enigma New Member

I enter the password into the relevant field:
    MySQL Password: $config['steamcha_forum']['*****'] (Stars being my pass but with different number of characters

It says:
    The source database connection details are not correct: Access denied for user '$config['steamch'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

My password was right though :(

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

Are you saying that you edited config.php directly and, more specifically, replaced parts of the code (like
    $config['db']['password']) rather than changing the value? (On the right side of the "=".)

3. Captured Enigma

Sorry, no. I enter the details for my db and it says this:
    The source database connection details are not correct: Access denied for user 'steamcha-sg'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

The password is correct tho, my host checked.

im having a lot of trouble with this :(

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  4. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

All I can say is that the password isn't correct. That's MySQL telling you it's not correct; nothing XenForo is involved with.

5. TheBoss

TheBoss Well-Known Member

Assuming you used CPanel to create your database in the first place did you remember to update its privilages to global, in other words did you check the select all box.?

6. Captured Enigma

I understand it it saying the pass is wrong, I created a user 'steamcha_admin' and assigned a password to that user which I enter here and it gives that error message :(

I did give him global privilidges yeah :/

7. TheBoss

From your first post:

It says:
    The source database connection details are not correct: Access denied for user '$config['steamch'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Looks like a simple spelling error , it appears you have missed adding the letter "a" after steamch .... In the rest of your posts it is steamcha@

8. Captured Enigma

Thanks for replying again mate, that one was a spelling error but it has been corrected in the previous posts.

Thanks for your help though, it really is appreciated :) I am gonna start the forum fresh :)

9. TheBoss

Just before you do... make sure if you are copying and pasting the text into username & database area's on entry..do NOT leave any spaces before or after the text..

The space is then assigned as %

Captured Enigma likes this.
  10. Captured Enigma

I think that may have been the issue... :D Its fixed! :D

Thank you veery much :D :D

11. TheBoss