1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MyBB 1.8 to Xenforo

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by tzahi, Oct 11, 2014.

1. tzahi

tzahi Member

Hello, I wanted to know if there is an option of converting MyBB 1.8 forum system to Xenforo?

2. Sami Jalal

Sami Jalal Well-Known Member

3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

The importer is designed for MyBB 1.6. I have no idea if there are schema changes in 1.8 that will break it (wasn't aware of 1.8 and I think this is the first request for/comment about it).

4. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

1.8 was released on Sept 30; it's brand new.

5. borbole

borbole Well-Known Member

From what I read at MyBB db changes were minimal. Converting 1.8 should work with the current 1.6 converter.

6. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

I've been a long term user of MyBB. As far as I know from their development, they didn't have too many database changes for XenForo's importer not to be able to successfully move over most content. Obviously there are some new additions, XenForo will simply ignore them I believe, as it would with columns generated by MyBB plugins.

I recommend you try it, should work out.

7. euantor

euantor Well-Known Member

There were not any major schema changes, but the way IP addresses are stored has changed to support IPv6, and a few tables were added (including the spam log table). Also, the way reports are stored has changed slightly.

8. tzahi

tzahi Member

So what will it do? just not copy the IP addresses and the reports? or will it give me an error and wont let me convert it?

9. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

If some of the necessary table names have changed, it'll give an error and not convert it. But the table names haven't changed as far as I know.

10. euantor

euantor Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, as I have not tried or looked at the code used. It's most likely that they just won't be imported. The IP addresses are now stored in varbinary fields rather than varchar and are stored in binary form as such. I believe XenForo actually uses a similar (if not the same) technique to store IPs.

11. tzahi

tzahi Member

Can i get a confirmed answer from Xenforo to make sure?
    I want to buy the software but i want to make sure I'll be able to transfer all of the informations i got on my mybb 1.8 forum.

12. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

WE are unable to give you a definitive answer.

The MyBB importer was designed for version 1.6.
    Depending on the nature of the changes in MyBB 1.8, it may or may not work.

13. tzahi

tzahi Member

All right, will a convert for MyBB 1.8 be released any time soon?

14. Mike

Importers are usually done based on the demand we receive, though updating an import to cover a new version is usually a fairly straightforward process.

If I have an opportunity, I will look into the necessary changes for 1.8 though I couldn't commit to when any changes might be incorporated. If you can provide a copy of your 1.8 data, that would likely speed up the process.

Jarod likes this.
  15. tzahi

tzahi Member

ok, where should i upload it to, and what should i upload? the data in a .sql file?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  16. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

That's what he wants, yeah, your database, probably compressed. There was a thread asking for these but I can't seem to find it.

17. Mike

I PM'd him about it.

18. tyteen4a03

tyteen4a03 Well-Known Member

MyBB 1.8 use the standard inet_pton function, which is what XenForo uses (indirectly, but still).

Should convert over just fine.

19. Mag07

Mag07 Member

I have just converted a forum from SMF through MyBB1.8 with the 1.6 converter and except for passwords everything was intact so it definitely works with the new version :)