My finger is on the Buy Button!

Careful Spongebob!

tumblr_lvcmy2DfS21qc44rd.jpg

LOL you folks are AWESOME!

I love the interface so far and I'm getting things all setup. If I could ask one last XenForo newb question... Should I customize the default theme? Or should I duplicate it, rename it, and customize that instead?

Thanks again everyone! Now, I seem to have a strange craving for some bacon...

LOL you folks are AWESOME!

I love the interface so far and I'm getting things all setup. If I could ask one last XenForo newb question... Should I customize the default theme? Or should I duplicate it, rename it, and customize that instead?

Thanks again everyone! Now, I seem to have a strange craving for some bacon...

Just remember, if you get stuck you can always go to http://yoururl.com/admin.php?tools/transmogrifier

Dave the proper way to do it is to leave the Default style untouched.
Create a new style.

Here's how:
Admin - Appearances (tab) - Styles (on left)
Create new style (button at the top)

Make the Default the Parent Style.
Name it anything you like.
Maybe untick user choice for now.

It does rebuilding.

After that you'll have a dropdown at the top to select either Default or XXXX Style
Important to make changes to your new XXXX Style then you have everything safely in Default.
But you can also Revert a template to what it was before.
:) XF is a safe playground.

Also recommend my Tweak Baby tutorial.
Oh and EXTRA.css is your friend among the Templates. Bits entered there don't get overwritten by upgrade.

Thank you so much Morgain!

I've started on that and it's going well. So, if I make all of my color palette edits and style customizations, then save them... will they stay the same after an update?

Dave

Style Properties yes I think they stay the same.
CSS you add to EXTRA.css is not disturbed.

If you alter code in a Template what happens is it flags up when you upgrade.
The existing (altered) template is put in an "old" group so you don't lose it. You can transfer the alteration back if you want, to the new upgraded template.
(I haven't done an upgrade myself but I've seen this described.)
Addons often need upgrading as they work with templates; but most of them currently work with 1.1 and I remember they were very fast being updated when 1.1 came out.

All this is why I advise using the comment code to mark out places you make changes to a template. I try to leave a blank line above and below so my changes stand out.
Plus keep a site log with notes in a document or set of documents.
With all that I was able to set up a new site very similar to my first one, in about 2 hours or less.

I recommend Nodes as`Tabs by Jake Bunce - you can design your navigation bars just how you want them. This can involve making a new template to hold a `list of secondary links for a dropdown - easy - Jake gives you a model and you copy it. The new template I title starting with my name - that means I can find any template I make by putting my name in the template search box - all my babies pop up together then.

XF is sooo good to admin.

Thanks so much for the GREAT info! Very helpful!

Right now, all I am doing is customizing colors and font sizes using the options in the Style Properties (in my New Style based on the Default). Sorry to be a pain in the butt, but I'm just wondering.. changes I make here will stick after an update, yes?

Thanks again for your help and patience :)

Dave I did a quick search - upgrade "Style Properties" -
and yes I got people referring to how they don't get changed.

Gentle tap on wrist, you coulda done that.
Note in XF search UNTICK this forum only - or else your search is too limited
- that default annoys me. I must change it on my sites.

I'd love to make my links more pretty, however... I have no idea how to do the redirection from my old forum to the new one. If I use the URL rewrite feature, can I still redirect links (once I learn how to do that)? Is there any downside to using the prettier links?

Thanks!

Top Bottom