Add-on Must I ask? Arcade

I'm using it on a live site, and it works just fine. But keep in mind it's a very rudimentary version, with few functions. But it's a very early beta so obviously there are risks involved.

I'm using it on a live site, and it works just fine. But keep in mind it's a very rudimentary version, with few functions. And the fact that's is a very early beta there are risks involved.

Oh. Okay. Thanks for clarifying.

Is it requested to use a public forum? Kinda afraid to do this on a live site, since the arcade is currently in development.
No, not all... trying it on a private test site would be encouraged. All that I would ask is that you & your staff try to break it to give feedback on what problems you found. :)

For those that haven't ventured over there yet, just visit http://xfarcade.com and download a copy of the WIP (Work In Progress) version...

http://xfarcade.com/threads/xfa-testers-download.123/

Even though we are saying (in very bold & big letters) that it is an alpha/beta release there was an overwhelming number of people requesting access so we opened it up to the general public. There is still a true alpha testers group ("XFA Pioneers") who get the changes before we update the public post but the lag between releasing it to the Pioneers group and the public Testers group is usually pretty short.

Is anyone else working on a arcade as the one over at xfarcade seems to have come to a halt.

I tried talking to Kevin into releasing this as an Open Source project here on XenForo, as production seems to have stopped. There seems to have been no interest.

I've been looking for an open source arcade. I think that if you merge the membership databases you can get away with it??? But the only ones I found have strict rules on use of the script or they're not that great >.> Wish XFarcade would open their code to the public too...

I tried talking to Kevin into releasing this as an Open Source project here on XenForo, as production seems to have stopped. There seems to have been no interest.
As stated via the Twitter conversation, I'm not convinced that would do any better for the project since there is nothing stopping anybody from coming forward now to volunteer to help out with it.

As stated via the Twitter conversation, I'm not convinced that would do any better for the project since there is nothing stopping anybody from coming forward now to volunteer to help out with it.
Sure there is...

1) Most people do not even know there is an arcade for XenForo. Having converted dozens of vBulletin 4 sites into XenForo, one of the 1st question people ask is where can they find the arcade I have; sitting they couldn't find it here and they honestly thought it was something I had custom made.

You're subject to very low exposure and awareness of XFArcade. Release it here.

2) Open Source would encourage others to build upon what you already have and releasing it here, while doing so would give it a prime exposure. Some developers may even build their own arcade from your concept, giving to competition, thus growth, and further helping The XenForo Community.

3) .... And I say this with deepest respects ... You're in the way.... People are not going to help with the current lead developer (you), who's shown no interest and hasn't show any progress in over 1 year (maybe more). The old saying, if you build it, they will come... Just isn't true in a digital world. So I would ask you, to please help make XFArcade as great of an add-on as I'm sure you meant it to be and it still can be or be so kind as to admit that you're not doing anything with it and please pass it along.

While i respect your decision. It is your baby after all. I would second the notion that very few people know of its existence. Actually its kind of hard to find even after tracking down the host site, its still pretty secret.. I didnt download or install it but i did go looking one day and found it to be a needle in a hey stack.

Sure there is...
1) Funny thing is nobody else seems to be saying that they didn't know about the site. And if anybody doesn't know about it, would it kill somebody else to point them in the direction of the URL?

2) Exposure doesn't seem to be the problem. At some point, yes, it will be released here at XF.com also, but since there will likely be a change coming that will break existing installations, it'd be more of a mess to having a bunch of people install the current version only to then have all of their games break with an update. [Yes, an update will definitely break existing installations. No, there will not be an upgrade path for existing installed games, it'll end up being a clean install. That comes with using alpha/beta versions.]

3) So step forward and volunteer to help out with the project. Don't like the way I'm doing something? Be part of the solution instead of trying to change the ownership of it. If/when I turn the project over to somebody else the odds are that if/when that day comes it would be to somebody who is already helping out instead of anybody who says they'll work on it only after they have control of it.

Top Bottom