Multiple Instances of Resource Manager

Kintaro

If Resource Manager could have independent multiple instances, 3rd party addons could extend only a specific instance.

For example in a single installation of xenforo we could have:
an addon that extend an instance of RM to a Shop
an addon that extend an instance of RM to a Classified System
an addon that extend an instance of RM to an Event System
an addon that extend an instance of RM to a Reviews System
etc

Every instances will get its specific permissions/phrases etc.

There's an unsupported addon that can do this, but:
  1. is unsupported and have issues with other addons
  2. I think that have this in the core can give xenforo another great boost
What do you think about this?

Upvote 66
Right now if someone posts a tutorial thread, many people will make comments about it and any updates are easily missed. The thread starter can update the first post, but tutorials often don't fit in one post. Some people do 'reserved' posts at the top, but others forget. It's clunky.

We also have areas where we'd like to separate informational content in the first post from the discussion that continually bumps the thread to the top. For example, posting information about a new release and keeping the discussion of it separate, or posting information about an event but keeping chat about it separate.

We're also looking for ways to improve our classifieds section, and I know the RM has been suggested for that.

Last edited:
I think that if @Mike, @Kier and @Chris D give to RM the "multi instances power" will come up many 3rd party addons based on RM without the need of reinventing the wheel and resulting in a win/win/win:
  1. a dash to RM licenses sells
  2. more opportunity to devs without reinventing the wheel and basing their work in the rock solid RM
  3. more functionality to xenforo's customers (free and paid).
This will fill the lack of official forum apps (shop, classified, blog, article system, "you name it" etc) many are asking and that 3 devs could not create because they are concentrate, correctly, on the forum core.

Actually is not technically possible install more than a RM.

What do you think guys about my idea? I think that giving the possibility to have multiple instance will help 3rd party devs that are not going to replicate in their addon basic RM features. Why reinventing the wheel every time?

3rd party devs interested in produce RM addons will then focus only on extending and phrasing a RM instance so their addons will be easy to maintain.

I would like to read some thoughts from addons devs and xenforo's and off course from other admins about this suggestion.

For example @Stuart Wright @xfrocks @digitalpoint @Jake B. What do you think about this?

As I said my other posts in this thread I see it as a great way to improve our forums.

And I'm in favor to pay for example a little bit more the RM to get the multiple instance feature active.

This would definitely be useful for me, as I have several different applications for the Resource Manager - all of which require different naming conventions and stylistic considerations to keep things from getting too confusing for users.

Looks like this is very difficult to code as even top coders have failed to produce a bug-free product and recommended starting new after 4 years of development.

If this is done, XF media gallery, Showcase and other add-ons will be dead as one can simply tweak one of the RM to do that the same.

If this is done, XF media gallery, Showcase and other add-ons will be dead as one can simply tweak one of the RM to do that the same.
On the contrary. If this is implemented then XFMG, SC and similar addons can be used in many different ways.
If you think that the XFRM can do the same as SC or MG then your requirements are far lower than mine.

Looks like this is very difficult to code as even top coders have failed to produce a bug-free product and recommended starting new after 4 years of development.

AFAIK only one coder tried to do this.

I think that sc will not dead if RM get multi stance. It could continue his way standalone or become a very advanced mod for RM.

The main thing here is have a solid and support code base (the RM) and get the possibility to have multiple addons that in the same installation use the RM to do different things.

agree.

this makes sense and would also give XenForo the ability to generate more money if they ask for an additional fee for "Multiple instances". It would also generate more Sales of "RM licences".

Last edited:
agree.

this makes sense and would also give XenForo the ability to generate more money if they ask for an additional fee for "Multiple instances". It would also generate more Sales of "RM licences".
Exactly, an extra costs to activate multi instance (not a license per instance!) I think will take more income to xenforo ltd.

The only thing I don't understand is way no official xf dev write a comment on this as is one of the most liked RM suggestion. :-(

In general, suggestions are not commented on by the staff.

That approach has been in place since the beginning.

Top Bottom