Multiple Domains Clarification

MrLeft

Technically this isn't so much a pre-sales question as it is a pre-install question since I bought a couple licences ages ago during the whole trial thing. Just want to get a clarification before investing time getting things started with xF.

FAQ said:
Can multiple domains or subdomains be used with a single license?
Yes, as long as the domains or subdomains all resolve to the same installation, all of the content is available at every domain or subdomain, and there is no attempt to make them appear as separate installations.

I have a group of domains that will sort of be part of a virtual network. So although I will obviously be making some common sub-forums, I will also have separate sub-forums for each sub-domain's topic (still part of a main public master forum), and pulling forum content and data to front page portals of each one. AS stated in the FAQ, I will not be making/using any "hacks" to make it seem like each part of the forum isn't networked with the rest (I actually want the feeling of a network). Can I assume based on what I've read in the FAQ that the other places/discussions where I see people say "one license per site" to mean:

1- That there should NOT be multiple copies/installations of the actual forum xF software PHP files, and/or that parts of each forum should NOT be hidden from each other based on what domain is being used?

2- That obviously I'm not allowed using hacks to hide the fact that all sub-forums actually form part of a master forum?

3- But that as long as 1 and 2 aren't done, then I AM ALLOWED to pull the actual data from the forum database, into the pages of the multiple domains (somewhat like a CMS/portal) as long as there is a single instance/installation of the actual xF forum software?

Based on your FAQ the answer is yes (the basis on which I bought the licences, and plan to get a couple more), but for obvious reasons I really want to be 100% before I really start putting time into my projects!

The license agreement basically says one installation at one particular URL. We don't mind if you have multiple URLs pointing at the exact same content. In some cases, it technically happens without your control: www vs without, forum.domain.com vs domain.com/forum. As such, we have specified an exception for this case, extending it to multiple domains as well (provided that you can demonstrate that the URL is identical to your licensed URL). The easiest way to be clear is that if you have multiple URLs pointing to the same XenForo install but they're going to be showing different content (different forums, different style) then that's likely against the license agreement. People can always contact as for clarification.

The problem is that it's often not clear exactly what it will look like from a description -- I'm certainly not clear, especially as #3 mentions pulling data from the forum onto a presumably unrelated page (which would be ok; it'd be no different from pulling an RSS feed). But if you're showing different forums or branding things differently in XenForo based on the URL loaded, that's likely to require a license per URL.

Top Bottom