Multiple Accounts Detection [Deleted]

Is this just IP address based or also more sophisticated (cookie based as well, etc)?

We have lots of users sharing IP addresses as lots of ISPs don't issue static ones.

Is this just IP address based or also more sophisticated (cookie based as well, etc)?
Only based on IPs. Detection based on cookies never works.
We did a lot of testing with a friend and this is the most reliable method we have found.

Only based on IPs. Detection based on cookies never works.
We did a lot of testing with a friend and this is the most reliable method we have found.

Hmm the version of this we're using that's based in cookies works fine, as did the old VB version. I'd be interested to know why you think it doesn't.

IP address-only is pretty useless as it'll trigger all the time.

Hmm the version of this we're using that's based in cookies works fine, as did the old VB version. I'd be interested to know why you think it doesn't.
Just because 99% of users know that they should empty their cache when they have multiple accounts. So this check is useless.

Just because 99% of users know that they should empty their cache when they have multiple accounts. So this check is useless.

With respect, the users who know they should empty their cache to avoid multiple detection on forums also know to use a different IP such as their mobile connection or a proxy etc.

The whole point of multiple detection for me is intended to capture those non-tech savvy users. Everyone else can evade your systems no matter how complex.

So use of cookies is essential.

In addition, cookie use brings up cases of users sharing computers - giving you "intelligence" on users who are linked, well before they might cause issues. This is especially useful for linking personal and commercial accounts (eg. where a personal account may be used to post fake endorsements).

IP use alone can miss so much of this.

With respect, the users who know they should empty their cache to avoid multiple detection on forums also know to use a different IP such as their mobile connection or a proxy etc.
I am open to any suggestions. I will add support for cookies in a future release.
It was originally intended and I had dropped it because I thought it was useless but if you're telling me that it can be effective, you're probably right :)

this is must for every forum but as others have said cookie detection is a must (like the good old vb addon) and an option to report moderators with alert or thread and/or option to move the detected user to another usergroup

1.webp 22.webp 33.webp

I am open to any suggestions. I will add support for cookies in a future release.
It was originally intended and I had dropped it because I thought it was useless but if you're telling me that it can be effective, you're probably right :)

Cookies are very effective still. Just taking a look at some rough stats, I'd pin cookie-based catches at around 80%.
I suppose, as more people become aware about online privacy and those devil cookies, then it may become less effective at some point. But for now, I don't think many people clear their cookies on a regular basis.

I know you said you'd add cookies, but I just wanted to drop another supporting comment about cookie tracking in here.

when users have multiple account, this plugin send alerts to users and admin about it

Top Bottom