How do you detect multiple accounts?

usAdultAds

I have this one user and clicked on shared IP, then to find his account is linked to 4 other accounts with a slight variance in location between all accounts, however, not by much.

Is there a way to know for sure if this user has multiple accounts? I know IPs change and rotate all the time. Some of the IPs do not tie the member into multiple accounts, however, the location of all the IP are coming from similar or nearby locations ie: same state, same country, etc...

thanks

Last edited:
wmtech sticky multiple account detector uses many different kinds of detection methods:
  • Standard HTTP cookies
  • Flash Cookies (Local Shared Objects, can optionally be disabled)
  • A locally cached png picture with encrypted content
  • HTTP eTags
  • Web Cache
  • window.name caching
  • userData storage (IE only)
  • HTML5 Session Storage
  • HTML5 Local Storage
  • HTML5 Global Storage (IE only)
  • HTML5 SQLite Database Storage
This makes it much more effective.

Works great

Works great
Cool, thanks! I don't see a price, is it a free add on or do you have to purchase a fingerprints key or something?

edit - nvm I see the $21, thanks!

Last edited:
I'm using Andy's addon. It picks up the actual human-being duplicates.

OzzMod's Spaminator Addon is stopping the automated registrations. One day this week it stopped roughly 15 registration attempts from the same IP, which all could have ended up being 15 unique profiles.
Thx for the input! I think core stops a lot of the spam sign ups if you have it checked in admin but my main goal is to catch current forum members who create a new account and then post stuff they are too afraid to post on their true account. Is Andy's best for catching those who do?

I've blocked 4 countries completely at the server firewall and it took care of 90% of the spam. Then I use @Xon 's Signup abuse detection and blocking to take care of the trolls and the rest of the spam. It has been working great. I also block a long list of proxies/VPN from registering too. DataCamp is a common one that the trolls like to use.

Reactions: Xon
Top Bottom