1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multiple Accounts Detection [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Add-on Releases' started by Insy, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Insy

Insy Well-Known Member

lesehanbola and AstroPID like this.
  2. RobParker

RobParker Well-Known Member

Is this just IP address based or also more sophisticated (cookie based as well, etc)?

We have lots of users sharing IP addresses as lots of ISPs don't issue static ones.
  3. Insy

Insy Well-Known Member

Only based on IPs. Detection based on cookies never works.
    We did a lot of testing with a friend and this is the most reliable method we have found.
  4. RobParker

Hmm the version of this we're using that's based in cookies works fine, as did the old VB version. I'd be interested to know why you think it doesn't.

IP address-only is pretty useless as it'll trigger all the time.
  5. Insy

Insy Well-Known Member

Just because 99% of users know that they should empty their cache when they have multiple accounts. So this check is useless.
  6. RobParker

I think 99% is a massive over estimation. Maybe for tech forums but not in general.
  7. Allan

Allan Well-Known Member

Instead of criticizing, try it !
    Insy likes this.
  8. Ingenious

Ingenious Well-Known Member

With respect, the users who know they should empty their cache to avoid multiple detection on forums also know to use a different IP such as their mobile connection or a proxy etc.

The whole point of multiple detection for me is intended to capture those non-tech savvy users. Everyone else can evade your systems no matter how complex.

So use of cookies is essential.

In addition, cookie use brings up cases of users sharing computers - giving you "intelligence" on users who are linked, well before they might cause issues. This is especially useful for linking personal and commercial accounts (eg. where a personal account may be used to post fake endorsements).

IP use alone can miss so much of this.
    Chimpie, tsak76, Veer and 2 others like this.
  9. Insy

Insy Well-Known Member

I am open to any suggestions. I will add support for cookies in a future release.
    It was originally intended and I had dropped it because I thought it was useless but if you're telling me that it can be effective, you're probably right :)
    RAHSTYLES, Phillip, v2hao and 2 others like this.
  10. RobParker

I wasn't just criticising, I was trying to be constructive. I know at the minute this will be useless for us as we have so many users on shared IP addresses as most forums will have.

I've been hoping for a long time that someone picks this up - http://xenforo.com/community/threads/multiple-account-detection.6373/page-6 as it works really well, it's just not maintained.
    Phillip likes this.
  11. tsak76

tsak76 Active Member

this is must for every forum but as others have said cookie detection is a must (like the good old vb addon) and an option to report moderators with alert or thread and/or option to move the detected user to another usergroup

1.jpg 22.jpg 33.jpg
    Phillip and Insy like this.
  12. RobParker

The other (abandoned) addon still works fine for us.
  13. Lexy

Lexy Active Member

it is work for 1.3.1 any issue with other plugin???
  14. Insy

Insy Well-Known Member

Yes for 1.3.1. I'm not aware of any issue with another plugin.
  15. Lexy

Lexy Active Member

it is alerts admin for all multiple acc, and user with double acc to??
  16. ENF

ENF Well-Known Member

Cookies are very effective still. Just taking a look at some rough stats, I'd pin cookie-based catches at around 80%.
    I suppose, as more people become aware about online privacy and those devil cookies, then it may become less effective at some point. But for now, I don't think many people clear their cookies on a regular basis.

I know you said you'd add cookies, but I just wanted to drop another supporting comment about cookie tracking in here.
    Kintaro and Insy like this.
  17. Insy

Insy Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't quite understand your question.
  18. Lexy

Lexy Active Member

when users have multiple account, this plugin send alerts to users and admin about it
  19. Insy

Insy Well-Known Member

Only if you enable conversations.
  20. Lexy

Lexy Active Member

and when conversation its not enabled, how to find multiple users