Multi-site

Ryan Nielson

I would really love to see multi-site support for Xenforo. I don't mind paying more for it, but I really would appreciate a built in option to support multiple sites from the same settings, users, plugins, etc. with easy navigation between the domains. Similar to WordPress multisite. There is a multi-site addon, but it is difficult to configure, and and is not compatible with most add-ons. I would like to be able to build a network of forums (for gaming).

Upvote 35
Its great that there is an addon for this, but its extremely risky to be reliant upon a third party for such fundamental functionality. because multisite functionality needs to work with all addons and any update of XF and addons. If the multisite addon or support for other addons breaks then the webmaster has a serious problem.
It would be so much better to have this in the core and would undoubtedly lead to more license sales for XF.

Some benefits of this suggestion:
  • manage/update multiple sites from one back end
  • single sign on for users
  • reuse (some of) the same content to create new sites
  • have your own network of sites
  • easy to create spinoff sites

Last edited:
This should be carefully thought through first. Sharing these informations between different sites brings a lot more trouble and things to consider than you might think.

To start of: What should happen if the 'main Installation' goes down for some reason? Will all other sites also become unavailable? Is this enabling you to indirectly DDOS multiple sites at once? And that's only the beginning of a long list.

You should be aware that this would be a rather huge project if you want it in a way that suites XenForo and modern standards and huge projects require a lot of time. Time that - in my opinion - is better invested in other features.

All popular CMS and webshops have this functionality. To me its strange that XF doesnt have it.
It would save me so much headache just to have one install for multiple front ends. Simply update all software and addons at once, instead of going to each install. I honestly have less XF installs now because I dont want to have more maintenance. Try updating 50 addons for multiple sites a few times a month. It will quickly become really annoying and time consuming. And will take away all desire to have more sites.

The idea is to install the server on your server and let that handle all domains. With DNS you just use aliassing. Thats how it works for all CMS that I know. In essense its one site and installation, but multiple domains display different content.

If the guys at XF could make this happen in a future version of Xenforo, this would be a major improvement!
Multiple XF licences (sites) on a single UserDB. Waiting for this since ages, want this since the old vBulletin days.

Top Bottom