XF 1.0 Multi-page Navigation Enhancement

Floris has been kind enough to produce a video showing our page navigation system in action, so I will just link to his video and you can see it for yourself:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A few things to note:
  • When the page loads, the only page links that are in the HTML are the ones that are visible. The links that appear when you scroll the gadget are generated with Javascript, so they don't suck up resources when they are not required.
  • This system is most useful for navigating 50ish pages. For a greater span of pages, we will be putting in a 'jump to page' function shortly.
Edit: September 12th 2010 - You can now go nuts with these things in the PageNav Playground!

Thanks H-Jack... I am liking what I see so far...but curious on how it'd handle some of our needs: like the ability to customize the layout to add the chat capabilities we currently are using- not to mention the addition of a CMS based approach.

Thanks H-Jack... I am liking what I see so far...but curious on how it'd handle some of our needs: like the ability to customize the layout to add the chat capabilities we currently are using- not to mention the addition of a CMS based approach.
Yeah XF is more of a mid- to long-term solution for us.
RE: Chat, for a while, we might have to continue to run vB to support certain custom functions we've developed such as our chat system that auto-posts transcripts to a dedicated forum, letting XF take more and more of the load as its native development, plus anticipated 3rd party development, accelerates.

That said, XF shows signs of offering us some ways to bridge the gap between what we need and what XF will be able to support straightaway. I think it will be worth challenging ourselves, with the help of XF support, to see how much functionality we can squeeze out of it in a shorter time, perhaps so we won't feel forced to upgrade to vB 4.whateverrr at all.

Here's a good discussion about Pages, which is already available in XF, from which a more or less CMS-Lite could be rigged til somebody produces a more robust module.

Meanwhile, XF Developer Co-Wizard Mike confirmed that Blogs content can probably be migrated to an XF Forum, of the name Blogs or whatever Admin chooses to name it, in which each user could be given rights to create a single sub-forum labeled with their username, and only they can start new threads in the sub-forum of their name, but everyone else can post replies. That's essentially how the vB Blogs work, I believe.

(Apologies to the gang, we've briefly drifted off the topic of this thread but I've provided a bailout link.)

The smaller font approach looks quite good now that I see it live. It's going to be extremely rare on most forums anyway.

.... It's going to be extremely rare on most forums anyway.
When the forums are funning* XF, maybe not as rare. In fact somebody note the current baseline figures on this issue and get back to us six months after XF is loosed from its nursery cage into the wild.

* that was a slip... like many slips, they're gifts so I decided to leave it right where my subconscious thought it belonged.

I think a "Go To: X" will be better for the examples which is listed in the PageNav Playground ...
It can be optional or appers when there are more than 10+ page ...
It can be simplified  DHTML hover box which will be appear onmouseover and works with number + enter combination ...

Just an idea :) 

I think a "Go To: X" will be better for the examples which is listed in the PageNav Playground ...
It can be optional or appers when there are more than 10+ page ...
It can be simplified DHTML hover box which will be appear onmouseover and works with number + enter combination ...

Just an idea :)

I approve, for a topic with hundred of pages it's not useful this pagination system...

Top Bottom