Moving hosting from shared to VPS + pointing domain to new hosting

ineedhelp

The xenforo FAQ states:

**How can I move my installation to a different domain or host?
Backup the existing database and server files. Copy them to the new domain/server and update the library/config.php file with the new database details as required. Lastly, update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information, if it has changed.

What information and data is imported?
Forum and user data, attachments, and avatars are imported. Styles, template code, HTML, and CSS are not imported.
Note that any data related to features which are unsupported will be ignored.**

So is that ALL I need to do?

AND... to back back up the database, I need to go in to PHPmyAdmin > EXPORT > SELECT THE DATABASE > TICK SQL > THEN SAVE/DOWNLOAD TO BACK UP? - THIS WILL BACK UP ALL USER DATA AND CONTENT?

THEN

To install sql into the new database do I need to log into PHPmyAdmin > IMPORT > SELECT THE DATABASE and um... (not sure) select the file from my computer and upload it?

ALSO....

Do i need to install the xenforo software again on the new server? or is it just a simple upload of the existing files onto the new server?

THEN...

Once the above is done..... my site will be 100% same on the new server? user data and content all restored on the new server?

Please help and guide, my first time doing such transfer.

Thanks in advance to all.

What information and data is imported?
Forum and user data, attachments, and avatars are imported. Styles, template code, HTML, and CSS are not imported.
Note that any data related to features which are unsupported will be ignored.**

The style is saved in the database and any images are in the server files.

Exporting and re-importing isn't required.

I thought this was a little strange.

He's not importing from vB or IPB, he's moving an existing XenForo installation to a different server.

I know...

I'm just wondering why he is quoting a section on importing from another board and also about moving server...

Though looking at the main FAQ, I can see why the confusion is there, the section is kinda mashed together, and could be split/explained better the difference between a xenforo>xenforo move and import >xenforo one ;)

I'm sure that bit wasn't in the original post....I don't recall seeing it :confused:

I've been working on expanding and updating the FAQ for a few weeks now - I may well split those sections up.

Ok guys, thanks for all your help...

And as stated in the FAQ the move is exactly as explain... Nothing more needed to make the change.

Only issue I faced was, my sql back up was in a slightly different format to what was allowed to be uploaded using the phpMyAdmin version 5 something i think... But the hosting company just made 1 or 2 changes to the back up and bingo! everything is back to it's original state.

:D

Ok here a new issue since transferring from 1 server to another...

The site and all is functioning fine...

BUT...

Anyone uploading a new Avatar, the pic doesn't show, either in posts or in profile...

What could be the problem?

All i did was download the site from the old server and uploaded it all to the new server, only file i had to edit, was config.php.

If your site is hosted on Cpanel - use the transfer method. I have a friend that did this exact thing and it was moved smoothly. There's a transfer between hosts feature.

So, it renders moving files and database "useless."

The reason why I'm bringing this up is because most hosts are cpanel-powered, so yeah.

This is the error message you get wen you go to the direct pic URL:

Not Found

The requested document was not found on this server.

So it seems, the pics are not being uploaded????

This problem only happens for new avatars?

Make sure data and internal_data are both writable (chmod 777). If they aren't writable then users will not be able to upload avatars or attachments.

Ok i went into my FTP and changed the File Permissions from 775 to 777 for those 2 folders....

Still no luck... same problem.

Top Bottom