Moving hosting from shared to VPS + pointing domain to new hosting

ineedhelp

The xenforo FAQ states:

**How can I move my installation to a different domain or host?
Backup the existing database and server files. Copy them to the new domain/server and update the library/config.php file with the new database details as required. Lastly, update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information, if it has changed.

What information and data is imported?
Forum and user data, attachments, and avatars are imported. Styles, template code, HTML, and CSS are not imported.
Note that any data related to features which are unsupported will be ignored.**

So is that ALL I need to do?

AND... to back back up the database, I need to go in to PHPmyAdmin > EXPORT > SELECT THE DATABASE > TICK SQL > THEN SAVE/DOWNLOAD TO BACK UP? - THIS WILL BACK UP ALL USER DATA AND CONTENT?

THEN

To install sql into the new database do I need to log into PHPmyAdmin > IMPORT > SELECT THE DATABASE and um... (not sure) select the file from my computer and upload it?

ALSO....

Do i need to install the xenforo software again on the new server? or is it just a simple upload of the existing files onto the new server?

THEN...

Once the above is done..... my site will be 100% same on the new server? user data and content all restored on the new server?

Please help and guide, my first time doing such transfer.

Thanks in advance to all.

Yes it's VPS - but how do i restart and enter the shh ?

You need an SSH client, though your lack of knowledge in the area would suggest to me it is best you don't attempt anything like this as you can do some major damage in ssh if you don't know what you are doing.

If you want, drop me or Jake bunce a private conversation and we can help further, but would require 1 of us to log into your server to look for the problem.

I recall another problem when moving a xenforo installation that required a httpd restart that shouldn't of been necassary... but was.

Hmm. I can see that happening when changing directories on the same server. I don't see how that could happen when moving to a different server. Though it doesn't hurt to restart I guess.

Top Bottom