1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving from vBulletin - missing some features

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by hjmaier, Nov 23, 2013.

1. hjmaier

hjmaier New Member

I am one of the many who want to move away from vBulletin. Currently I am struggling with the decision which software I want to use. XenForo or IPS.

While I like some features on XenForo more then the IPS equivalent, there are a few things missing I desperately need. Maybe there is a solution I did not see or there is something already on the roadmap. What I don't want are bridges to third party software like Wordpress or Drupal. Here my list:

- CMS

I need an article system (a full CMS is not needed). The resource system would do the trick, but it seems I can only add one attachment. I need the ability to have multiple attachments on articles.

- Blogs

my members enjoy blogging. Is there any way I could implement that?
    rudymaddy likes this.
  2. Deathstarr

Deathstarr Active Member

There are plugins to make your CMS work and there is a plugin for blog. both are free I do think.
  3. Matthew Hawley

Matthew Hawley Well-Known Member

4. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

5. rudymaddy

rudymaddy Member

In fact that was my plan, to start with a forum and add news portal later. I would like to integrate a powerful cms and blog at a later stage.
  6. hjmaier

hjmaier New Member

Thank you for the links. I fear that is not a solution for me :( Well, I still have a few month before I have to drop vBulletin. Let's see how XenForo looks like then.
  7. Matthew Hawley

Matthew Hawley Well-Known Member

8. SavvyShopper

SavvyShopper Member

Wow XenPorta looks nice, but can it be used for a daily deals site like SlickDeals? I am thinking of purchasing XenForo for the forum, but what about the main page/portal? Can XenForo be modded to have hand-picked daily deals and coupons on the front page? Will it be practical and easy to manage from the back end?
  9. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

If you publish the deals and coupons in the forums, you can hand-pick which ones you want to show in xenporta.
  10. SavvyShopper

SavvyShopper Member

But that's not how I want it setup because then I'd be dependent on forum users. It should be the other way around where I find the latest deals and post them on the front page in a table/blocks. The forum should be a secondary source for users to share/discuss deals that they found. I know WordPress have plugins like SellFire, PopShops, and DataFeedr, but you have to pay monthly fees. What makes SlickDeals interesting is that it is all vBulletin, so that's why I was wondering if xenForo can be customized to achieve the same design (and be stable of course)?
  11. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Anything can be achieved with custom code.
  12. SavvyShopper

SavvyShopper Member

That's is true LOL. I guess I will have to find the right person to do the job once I purchase XenForo because i'm not a programmer.