Moving from one server to another...

Mr. Goodie2Shoes

okay I successfully moved my database and files (yeah... I double checked everything...) from my old host to a new one... But now when I visit my site I only see a blank page in Firefox and in chrome, "Service unavailable"...

To the mods, please move this thread if there's any other specific forum for it :)

A few things to check here:

How can I move my installation to a different domain or host?
Backup the existing database and server files. Copy them to the new domain/server and update the library/config.phpfile with the new database details as required. It may be necessary to set permissions for the data and internal_datadirectories to world writeable (CHMOD 0777). Lastly, update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information, if it has changed.
Note that if you are moving to a different type of web server and have Friendly URLs enabled, you will need to make the appropriate changes. Refer to the Friendly URLs section of the XenForo Help Manual for more details.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180455

Also, try clearing any cache files you may have transferred over.

Ask your host to restart the server, that may kick it into life.

Otherwise, right click and view source on the page - is there more detail to the error?

Check the Apache logs too.

Presumably you ran the script to ensure the server was compatible before moving?

Have you repointed your domain to the new host?
Exactly what I was going to ask. If you are hitting the domain name and you haven't pointed it to your new server, you will be going to your old host and getting a blank page (assuming everything is now gone). Do you know the IP address of the new host?? Have you just tried to use the IP instead of the domain name to see if you can hit your site??

Russ

What about a .htaccess file? Could it be something there is getting in the way?
nope... I removed .htaccess... no result...
disable all addon, remove any caching you have enabled in config.php
I haven't enabled any caching from config.php... and is there any quicker way to disable all the add-ons at once?
Have you repointed your domain to the new host?
Exactly what I was going to ask. If you are hitting the domain name and you haven't pointed it to your new server, you will be going to your old host and getting a blank page (assuming everything is now gone). Do you know the IP address of the new host?? Have you just tried to use the IP instead of the domain name to see if you can hit your site??

Russ
lol... I am not that stupid :P and yes I've tried everything...

But now when I visit my site I only see a blank page in Firefox and in chrome, "Service unavailable"...

This page explains the "service unavailable" error:

http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E503.html

It's a server problem that is usually temporary. If it persists then contact your host or server person.

The "source page" is also blank...

A blank page is often a suppressed error. Try adding this line to your library/config.php file:

Code:
ini_set('display_errors', true);

Or add this to a .htaccess file on your server (only works on Apache servers):

Code:
php_value display_errors 1

That may reveal an error message on the blank page.

is there any quicker way to disable all the add-ons at once?

Yes. Add this line to your library/config.php file:

Code:
$config['enableListeners'] = 0;

This page explains the "service unavailable" error:

http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E503.html

It's a server problem that is usually temporary. If it persists then contact your host or server person.

A blank page is often a suppressed error. Try adding this line to your library/config.php file:

Code:
ini_set('display_errors', true);

Or add this to a .htaccess file on your server (only works on Apache servers):

Code:
php_value display_errors 1

That may reveal an error message on the blank page.

Yes. Add this line to your library/config.php file:

Code:
$config['enableListeners'] = 0;
nope... nothing...

Top Bottom