1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moving from one server to another...

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Mr. Goodie2Shoes, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

Mr. Goodie2Shoes Well-Known Member

okay I successfully moved my database and files (yeah... I double checked everything...) from my old host to a new one... But now when I visit my site I only see a blank page in Firefox and in chrome, "Service unavailable"...

To the mods, please move this thread if there's any other specific forum for it :)

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

A few things to check here:

How can I move my installation to a different domain or host?
    Backup the existing database and server files. Copy them to the new domain/server and update the library/config.phpfile with the new database details as required. It may be necessary to set permissions for the data and internal_datadirectories to world writeable (CHMOD 0777). Lastly, update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information, if it has changed.
    Note that if you are moving to a different type of web server and have Friendly URLs enabled, you will need to make the appropriate changes. Refer to the Friendly URLs section of the XenForo Help Manual for more details.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180455

Also, try clearing any cache files you may have transferred over.

3. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

Done all the things you've mentioned... no luck :(

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Ask your host to restart the server, that may kick it into life.

Otherwise, right click and view source on the page - is there more detail to the error?

Check the Apache logs too.

Presumably you ran the script to ensure the server was compatible before moving?

5. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

okay created a ticket...

The "source page" is also blank...

Where do I find it?

Yes, yes it is...

6. SchmitzIT

SchmitzIT Well-Known Member

In config.php, add this line:

$config['debug'] = true;

Does that give you anything? What about the error-logs of Apache?

7. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

yes its already enabled... and I dont see any error log and also, I can log-in to my ACP without any hassle :(

8. SchmitzIT

SchmitzIT Well-Known Member

What about a .htaccess file? Could it be something there is getting in the way?

9. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

disable all addon, remove any caching you have enabled in config.php

10. ChemicalKicks

ChemicalKicks Well-Known Member

Have you repointed your domain to the new host?

11. wrx1

wrx1 Active Member

Exactly what I was going to ask. If you are hitting the domain name and you haven't pointed it to your new server, you will be going to your old host and getting a blank page (assuming everything is now gone). Do you know the IP address of the new host?? Have you just tried to use the IP instead of the domain name to see if you can hit your site??

Russ

12. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

nope... I removed .htaccess... no result...
    I haven't enabled any caching from config.php... and is there any quicker way to disable all the add-ons at once?
    lol... I am not that stupid :p and yes I've tried everything...

13. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

This page explains the "service unavailable" error:

http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E503.html

It's a server problem that is usually temporary. If it persists then contact your host or server person.

A blank page is often a suppressed error. Try adding this line to your library/config.php file:

Code:
    ini_set('display_errors', true);

Or add this to a .htaccess file on your server (only works on Apache servers):

Code:
    php_value display_errors 1

That may reveal an error message on the blank page.

Yes. Add this line to your library/config.php file:

Code:
    $config['enableListeners'] = 0;

14. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

nope... nothing...

15. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I will offer to take a look if you are comfortable giving me your FTP and admin login. Otherwise you should probably followup with the ticket you opened.

16. Mr. Goodie2Shoes

well thanks but I am moving back to my old host now... I really appreciate your helping hand... :)