1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Moving from /forums to root

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by grantus, Aug 27, 2013.

1. grantus

grantus Active Member

I currently have Xenforo installed in /forums but if I want to move everything to the root directory, what would be the simplest way?

Obviously I'll move all the files to the root, but how does that affect Xenforo?
    Would I have to backup the database, re-install Xenforo and then import the database?
    Or is there an easier way?

Thanks.

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The FAQ in my signature explains what steps need to be taken.

3. grantus

grantus Active Member

Ah ok, so I just need to move all the files to the root and then specify the new forum URL in the AdminCP?

4. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

5. grantus

grantus Active Member

I'm in the process of moving everything now but there's a problem. I moved all my Xenforo files to the root directory and then changed the board URL. Now when I go to the forum, I can't get to certain areas of the forum. All my nodes still show /forums/general for example. I restarted my server but still same thing. What could be the problem?

6. grantus

grantus Active Member

It seems to be that the friendly URLs is not working. When I disabled it, all is good. Any suggestions? Thanks.

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Did you move the .htaccess file to the root?

8. grantus

grantus Active Member

Ah, that could be it! No, I didn't move it yet because I have a custom one in there. I'll reply when I move it over.

9. Marcel

Marcel Active Member

I tried it on our test installation. No matter what I tried I just couldn't get it to play nice, so I reinstalled
    *easywayout* :D

10. grantus

grantus Active Member

Ok I moved Xenforo's htaccess, restarted my server and still the same thing. I can access the threads and posts such as: mysite.com/posts/ but on the main page, all the nodes still link to mysite.com/forums

11. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Have you edited any templates?

12. grantus

grantus Active Member

Nevermind, I got it! It's because since I moved all my xenforo files to the root folder, I still had my "forums" folder. I removed that and so far everything seems good.

13. Marcel

Marcel Active Member

Glad you've sorted it :)