Movie Talk Zone

Ernest L. Defoe

logo.webp
So I have decided to start another forum after several failed attempts. Guess my heart wasn't really in the other sites. I am pretty passionate about this one though. Let me start out by saying the site isn't 100% completely done as I am waiting on one small tweak from @Russ.

So what is Movie Talk Zone. Well short answer is a site to talk about your favorite movies as well as television shows.

I'm using @Snog's TV Thread Starter and Movie Thread Starter addons. As well as I had @Russ update an old custom theme I had made for one of my other now dead sites. I am also using @Brogan's CTA Featured Threads addon which I had Russ do a little work on it for me.

If you enjoy talking about movies and tv shows then come on over and join in and help make the site better. The link to the site is https://www.movietalk.zone Hope to see ya there.

Update: I finally got the logo in. I think it looks alot better.

Last edited:
Site looks good, man. Reminds me of your old Sim City forum.

One minor change that I would personally make is change the border-radius on the category strips from,

Code:
.nodeList .categoryStrip {
border-radius: 5px;
}
to
Code:
border-radius: 5px 5px 0 0;
}

Don't recall being a member, but anything's possible :D

The more I think about it I don't think you were. I know @Shelly was. Anyways thanks again for the nice comments. I loved the old theme I had on SimCity Talk cause it was unique and one of a kind so I had Russ update it for me. I love the features in XenBase especially the Backstretch feature that's how I got the background to do like it did.

Where would I put that? In EXTRA.CSS? I am completely dumb to all the styling stuff. That's why I keep @Russ on retainer. :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I would put it in the extra.css. If it doesn't change try adding some !important tags to the end of the lines like this,

Code:
border-radius: 5px 5px 0 0 !important;
}

I am pretty passionate about this one though.
You have 1 section for movies, 1 for TV and 4 for useless stuff.
I can't see any chance you will get somewhere. I mean c'mon, every forum has a section about movies, even forums about injects or barbie girls. What is your difference? Where is the passion you talk about?

@sbj The reason there is only 1 forum for TV and 1 forum for movies. As the site grows and gets more active then I will add more forums and break tv shows down by channel and movies down by genre. At this point it's better to have less forums and more busier than to have all the forums done the way they will be eventually and the site look empty. Thanks for your comments about my site not going anywhere.

The passion is there but I am trying to also use my head as a ton of forums and not much content only hurts the site. The way I am doing it now is honestly the best way. You call 4 of the forums useless tell me a site that doesn't have a forum for site information or a general chat forum that has nothing to do about the site topic? I also like to have a forum for new people to introduce themselves if they so choose to do and a site for people to post if they are having an issue or have feedback that might help the site do better.

You call those useless forums because I have 4 forums that aren't related to my site topic. I call them essential forums for the reasons I have stated. The site will succeed regardless of what you might think because I am going to work to make it succeed. No it may never be a big board but honestly I would rather have a couple of hundred active users than a 1,000 that don't post at all.

You seem to be the only person that has an issue with the way I have the site setup. It seems like everyone else thinks it's good the way it is. So I will just take your comments with a grain of salt and not let them get me down. Thank you and have a great day.

@Ernest L. Defoe

First of all I talk to you as someone who loves watching movies. I watched approximately 2000 movies, so I have a passion for it. However I am not involved into this niche of movies, so I am not a rival or something. Just I wanted to be honest and tell you my concern. Hell, if you can't win me as a user, I see no good for you. But if you can't accept critique, alright, feel free to ignore me.

You say as the site grows and gets more active then you will add more forums. But this is exactly the wrong way to run a forum in my opinion. Because other around must be the case. You must provide content and then it will grow.
Expecting the site growing from itself and then you can start doing something is in my opinion wrong. The strategy having less forums so it looks busy is exactly what hundreds of people do. Why should I stay on your site and not anywhere else? Convince me. Think of me as someone who visited your forum. How is your forum convincing me to stay there?
To have all the forums done and it will eventually look empty is your concern? Hey, that is why you must make a difference and put effort and content. But you go the easy way which will not be successful in my opinion but good luck on that. I see no passion or difference but you say this is honestly the best way. Alright, you must know it.

I called those 4 forums useless because they don't provide any content to your niche. People don't stay on sites because of the "welcome users" place or "Important news about the site" section. Of course there is a need but they are useless in holding users on your site. You must have content, something people can't find anywhere. And it is ridiculous to have 2 main categories whereas you have 4 categories for off-topic stuff. There is no balance but it is just my opinion.

Having a hundred of active users can be called a success. It just depends on how big the cake is. When your niche is about something where in the whole world just 10 000 people can contribute, yes, having hundred active users are truly a success.
But considering your niche, movies and TV, like billions of people? No, your site would be just a grain of sand considering that my words are grain of salt.

I just wanted to help you. Have a great day, too.

Last edited:
I am also using @Brogan's CTA Featured Threads addon which I had Russ do a little work on it for me.
Cant see it on the site at all.

Not sure on the idea of populating the forum with data basically scrapped from IMDB or whatever through the addons, when you or others are not actively participating in the forums.

Good luck to you. I believe you will need it.

You say as the site grows and gets more active then you will add more forums. But this is exactly the wrong way to run a forum in my opinion. Because other around must be the case. You must provide content and then it will grow.
Expecting the site growing from itself and then you can start doing something is in my opinion wrong. The strategy having less forums so it looks busy is exactly what hundreds of people do. Why should I stay on your site and not anywhere else? Convince me. Think of me as someone who visited your forum. How is your forum convincing me to stay there?
To have all the forums done and it will eventually look empty is your concern? Hey, that is why you must make a difference and put effort and content. But you go the easy way which will not be successful in my opinion but good luck on that. I see no passion or difference but you say this is honestly the best way. Alright, you must know it.

I called those 4 forums useless because they don't provide any content to your niche. People don't stay on sites because of the "welcome users" place or "Important news about the site" section. Of course there is a need but they are useless in holding users on your site. You must have content, something people can't find anywhere. And it is ridiculous to have 2 main categories whereas you have 4 categories for off-topic stuff. There is no balance but it is just my opinion.

Having a hundred of active users can be called a success. It just depends on how big the cake is. When your niche is about something where in the whole world just 10 000 people can contribute, yes, having hundred active users are truly a success.
But considering your niche, movies and TV, like billions of people? No, your site would be just a grain of sand considering that my words are grain of salt.

I just wanted to help you. Have a great day, too.

Don't get me wrong I appreciate your comments but you and me have two different views on how things should be setup at the moment. It looks bad for ANY site to have a bunch of forums and not much content. I've always read and heard and believe start small and work your way up to more forums not start out with them and look empty. It's better to have less forums and look full and busy than to have lots of forums and look dead.

I know if I went to a site any kind of site that had 15-20 forums and there was only a few posts in a couple of them I wouldn't want to go back. I would rather see a site have 5-6 forums and 20+ posts in each on a new forum. To me that looks active not dead. Yeah my niche may have plenty of sites like it but in my eyes and to me if I only had a couple a hundred members that were active then I would consider the site a success. I don't care to become a big board. Just a smaller community with active members that enjoy coming and talking with each other. To me that is a success.

I'd love to have you as a member but that is a choice you have to make. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you why you should join. As far as what I said yesterday......I acted a little out of line for me. I was at the mechanics most of the day because my truck broke down and considering I'm a truck driver that means by being broke down it was messing with my paycheck and means to provide for my family. I'm sorry I took it out on you by my comments.

Cant see it on the site at all.

Not sure on the idea of populating the forum with data basically scrapped from IMDB or whatever through the addons, when you or others are not actively participating in the forums.

Good luck to you. I believe you will need it.

The information is scraped from a database site yes to give the topic title and information about the movie or show as well as a cover image. The information isn't pulled automatically. I still have to go and look up all the information so yes I am actively participating. It's not like a bot that goes and automatically pulls the info. And when it's something I have actually seen want to see or whatever I even talk about it in the very next post. So again I am actively participating. I spent over 2 hours last night when I should have been sleeping looking up more movies and shows and adding them. I only have a couple of members at the moment so yeah there isn't much participation at the moment but hopefully in time there will be.

As far as the FT addon. What do mean you can't see it on the site at all? Never mind I know what you mean now. I didn't have Guests set to be able to see it. I have now fixed this.

Top Bottom