Movie Buffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davyc

Just launched recently for all those who love a good Movie and TV Show - add your favourites, comment on entries and more.

Made with:
  • Xenforo 2.1.10
  • Snog's Movie App
  • Snog's TV Show App
  • XenPorta App
  • PixelExit's Flat Awesome + Theme
Along with loads of CSS and template changes to get the look and feel I was after.

Enjoy!

Always look forward to seeing your sites, more often than not they are beautifully crafted and unique
Very kind of you to say so - I do try to adapt and make changes that are different to the 'out of the box' experience; thankfully most of that can be achieved using CSS, but sometimes I have to get my hands dirty and make some template adjustments (much of that is down to trial and error lol) :)

You would surprised how many sites are blocked for no real reason.
I checked this out and it appears that sites that contain video content, no matter how innocuous, get side-lined by countries such as India because they assume that they contravene copyrights. It's a blanketed approached rather than one that is layered, but each to their own and they make and stand by their decisions for their own reasons. Hopefully, you managed to get around this using a VPN ;)

@twoface Interesting. I would love to know more about this as well. Maybe XenForo didn't have a particular add-on or feature for his niche?

@twoface Interesting. I would love to know more about this as well. Maybe XenForo didn't have a particular add-on or feature for his niche?

Looks like his decision was good enough, Just saw his new site, looks pretty good. Sadly those kind of features or design is not available on xenforo yet.

Tried checking site but it seems like it's using IPB now, I wonder what went wrong with XF?
I wanted an easy means of adding content for users and a new app appeared on IPS that fit the bill. No disrespect to XF or the developers of similar apps, just that the IPS was way easier to use. I have to think of my users first and foremost and how easy it is for them to add content.

I'm currently putting together a new project using XF, just renewed my license for another year so I still feel there is a lot of value in Xenforo, just that some platforms are more suited to some projects and other platforms for other projects :)

Movie Buffs is back on Xenforo after a departure from IPS (you probably know why lol). I'm still using Ozzy's (formerly Snog's) movie and TV applications, coupled with Xenporta and a theme by Eheran (Uniform Dark).

The front page consists of HTML blocks linking categories directly to their forums so no need to go into forums unless you want some help and take part in some general chatter.

I've added a number of entries into each category, but there is a lot more to be done. I have to say that I have enjoyed putting this back onto XF and with only a small number of tweaks and a few template edits to make the posters clickable.

If you love movies and TV Shows you're more than welcome to join in, add your own, comment on others and generally just have some fun time talking about the cinematic and TV shows that you love. Look forward to seeing you over there.

A few screenshots (click them to make them bigger):

1632138952379.png

1632138997352.png

1632139067320.png

Some big changes to the layout of https://moviebuffs.org mainly CSS changes some brilliant help from @Ehren for the movie layouts and one big change that I implemented myself for the homepage; done away with Xenporta as it wasn't really being used, got rid of all the widgets and made the homepage as a page using html and a separate set of CSS instructions. So, the homepage looks pretty much the same but the actually categories are so much different.

Homepage:
1632929282713.webp

Example of a category:
1632929323887.webp

Feel free to visit, check it out, test it on mobiles (I 'think' that I've captured all the @media commands to ensure compatibility), join up, add some movies and even comment and rate if the mood takes you.

I'll be buying a new license soon for another site that I want to create on the XF platform :)

I see some obscure movies I love there that I should register and comment on! :)

As for feedback: in my opinion the fonts, especially in navigation are significantly too small and I haaaaate the serif font in posts.

As for feedback: in my opinion the fonts, especially in navigation are significantly too small and I haaaaate the serif font in posts.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll be addressing font sizes and making some changes across the board with regards to font styles - if you have any suggestions for fonts I'm all ears and ready to give anything a try. Please do register and comment and add some more to the pot, there's a whole world of movies out there that never get mentioned and have limited viewings, some of the incredibly fantastic movies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom