XF 2.0 Missing Phrases - how'd you ensure you don't?

arms

Typical,

Released and then tested install on my 2nd local test install and straight away notice 2 phrases i've missed.

Any tips on ensuring you have all your phrases covered?

We haven't had time to get it ready for release, yet, but for a long time we've used a custom add-on (even in XF1) to detect strings in templates and files which look like they should be phrased and provide a UI to find them, suggest a phrase name for them, create the phrases and then update the code.

The XF1 version was really just an internal tool. The XF2 version is part of a larger add-on called XenForo Developer Tools (XFDT). Primarily it just has the phraser stuff I described above but it's so useful that our aim is to get it up to scratch and release it so that everyone can enjoy the benefit.

In the meantime, aside from using a tool to try and detect them, all you can really do is try to get better at remembering them! I'd suggest just writing the text out in your templates and then doing all of the phrases before release. To help you eventually find the phrases again, wrap them in ~~ e.g:
HTML:
<xf:title>~~This is my page title~~</xf:title>
This is actually something you have to do even in the XFDT add-on to mark text for phrasing in some cases. But even without that, it just makes finding unphrased text easier as you prepare to release the add-on. It's a new way of working but hopefully it will help.

XF2 and its add-ons is obviously taking a priority. Though there really are some usability bits in the phrase stuff that we would like to get fixed before unleashing it, and when we do unleash it we want to be in a position where we'll be able to properly provide support for it, so it's likely going to be after the release of XF2 now.

Top Bottom