XF 2.2 Missing files when using ACP Upgrade

Pseudonym

I fired up the ACP 'auto upgrade' on one of my sites which is pretty much a stock install. It seems that when it downloads the package, 3 files are missing.

I get a 404 error when at the next stage in the process when it's looking for https://site.url/install/oc-upgrader.php.

My ACP reports 3 files missing.

install/index.php
install/install.css
install/oc-upgrader.php

Thanks for the information. I was aware that I could do that, but as I didn't see any threads here regarding this issue I assumed it was a bug. Although on reflection I guess it's not a problem with my local install of XF itself but rather what is getting served from the XF server.

Is there any kind of protection/permissions on the /install directory on the server?

If you download the zip archive from your account, is that directory and those three files present?

So I've just tried to replicate this issue by doing a 2.1 to 2.2 one click upgrade and didn't have any issue.

Based on the initial post, it sounds like this is happening with the redirection to the one click system, and that would seem to imply the file isn't there. If I had to guess, was the install directory already deleted (before you tried to initiate the upgrade)? If so, that's the cause, as it's essentially missing files necessary to kick off the upgrade. If that's not the case, I don't really see why these files specifically would go missing -- I don't think they're actually all changed at the same time anyway.

After 4 attempts to upgrade my test forum from 2.1.5 to 2.2.0 it finally worked. Don't know either what the issue was only to say the update crapped out 3 time with files missing then it worked fine on the 4th attempt.

Is there any kind of protection/permissions on the /install directory on the server?

If you download the zip archive from your account, is that directory and those three files present?

No protection or permissions on the directory.

I'm mobile at the moment so I can't check the contents of the download right now.

So I've just tried to replicate this issue by doing a 2.1 to 2.2 one click upgrade and didn't have any issue.

Based on the initial post, it sounds like this is happening with the redirection to the one click system, and that would seem to imply the file isn't there. If I had to guess, was the install directory already deleted (before you tried to initiate the upgrade)? If so, that's the cause, as it's essentially missing files necessary to kick off the upgrade. If that's not the case, I don't really see why these files specifically would go missing -- I don't think they're actually all changed at the same time anyway.

My last few upgrades were done automatically through the ACP without issue, but I don't recall removing the directory. It may be possible that I have done so; I used to have to do that with vBulletin and may have removed it from XF on instinct. It would certainly explain the problem based on your logic. I will check as soon as I am able.

There were no reports of these files being missing in the ACP until after attempting the upgrade.

I had a chance to take a closer look today. You were indeed correct in that I had deleted the install directory. I uploaded the entire package manually and the upgrade went without a hitch. I'm assuming then that there is no risk inherent in not deleting the install directory? Perhaps the 'auto-upgrade' could check for the presence of these files and prevent the upgrade from starting unless they are present.

I realised also that the ACP had indeed been reporting the missing files, I hadn't logged in at that ACP for some time and missed the info.

I'm assuming then that there is no risk inherent in not deleting the install directory?
There's no need to remove it - it's not a security risk.

Perhaps the 'auto-upgrade' could check for the presence of these files and prevent the upgrade from starting unless they are present.
The file which controls the one click upgrade process is in the directory you deleted.

Oh right, I understand. I guess maybe something within the ACP prompt that prevents clicking through unless the files are present. The prompt can't be controlled by the files I deleted as I saw it. Not that I would make the same mistake again, it might just prevent someone else coming here with the same self caused problem.

Top Bottom