Minecraft Gaming Questions

wickedstangs

Looking to purchase a hosting gaming server for my son.

1. What is needed for his friends to log in?

2. Do they have to have the software on there computer?

3. On the server is it easy to install add on?

4. Can they log into the game with android and apple tablets?

5. Can any recommend a hosting site? US

Any more info/help would be awesome.....

Thanks

Minecraft is normally a pc based game, but there is a Minecraft pocket edition server instance you can run also.

I used to run a server for a while before mojang started enforcing it's license on no profiteering on Minecraft.

A good vps should be adequate. I used a 4gig variety from linode and had no problems supporting 20+ users. It depends on the mod's you're using though.

The server software is free on Minecraft.net but you may want to try spigotmc.org for a better server instance.

Send me a pm if you'd like and I can share more info.

Software is easy to install if you know linux. Each if his friends would need a Minecraft license and game downloaded.

You may also want to try Minecraft realms which is a hosted solution provided by mojang, but not as powerful or flexible as spigot

looking at a server now and I take it these are add on's?
addon.webp

Yeah. I don't think Tekkit/Technic is used much anymore. I would focus on the Spigot based server (version 1.8.8). Craftbukkit was the original open server, but it has been more or less abandoned in my opinion.

The only mods I see on there are the Technic ones for Tekkit. Most of the others are just Minecraft server distributions.

Vanilla Minecraft is the basic Minecraft server option you get. Nothing fancy about it, the kind Minecraft Realms would provide.

Yeah. I don't think Tekkit/Technic is used much anymore. I would focus on the Spigot based ones (version 1.8.8). Craftbukkit was the original open server, but it has been more or less abandoned in my opinion.

looking at Spigot they Xenforo and look to update quickly.. What plugins do you recommend and what are they used for?

Oh there are a ton of plugins, depending on what you want to do. I'm on the road but I'll provide a list that I used on my server last year. A good permission system is a must for starters though.

It also depends on if you plan to have multiple worlds (Multi-verse), need cheat detection, a credits system (economy).

@md_5 is the owner administrator of spigotmc.org. A great resource of info.

Last edited:
Bisecthosting is a good, reputable host. Going for hosting like this is your best choice because you can (usually) 1-click install addons.
Spigot > Bukkit also.

Oh, and you should be aware that some addons require very extensive customization.

all I want is a private server for about 10-20 of his friends.. he 10 years old. Nothing to fancy.. I don't even play.. Looking at spigot 1.8.8 and let him have fun maybe 1-5 plugins if he even knows what they are.. MY ONLY concern now is they mostly play on tablets.. Not sure they even know what a PC is:)?

Well, for tablets, you'll need to run a Pocket Edition server.

It is completely different than Spigot server. I've played with this one but don't have much info about it, completely different plugins.

https://www.pocketmine.net/

The code bases for Minecraft on PC and tablets are different. Not sure if pocketmine even supports both iOS and Android versions or not

.. MY ONLY concern now is they mostly play on tablets.. Not sure they even know what a PC is:)?
Hi there,

Try Blockheads it's a much-more-functional free version of Minecraft on mobile. All his friends can play with him.

Minecraft for mobile is boring, difficult to run and incompatible with PC.

I run a community of 17,000 Blockheads players. Sadly he cannot play with us as we are a 13+ community but I highly recommend the game. The concept is the same but it's just much more functional than Minecraft for mobile.

If you need help PM me, I am happy to help.

Remember to tell him never to share personal info online.

Hi there,

Try Blockheads it's a much-more-functional free version of Minecraft on mobile. All his friends can play with him.

Minecraft for mobile is boring, difficult to run and incompatible with PC.

I run a community of 17,000 Blockheads players. Sadly he cannot play with us as we are a 13+ community but I highly recommend the game. The concept is the same but it's just much more functional than Minecraft for mobile.

If you need help PM me, I am happy to help.

Remember to tell him never to share personal info online.

and @SneakyDave
Not sure I'm understanding So the IPAD Mini 4 / all IPAD's / Kindles will not work / log into the minecraft server running PC software?

Yes. All the mobile versions of minecraft are called 'pocket editions'. They are not compatible with the PC version (Java), and they have different features and game mechanics.

They all support multiplayer I believe, but only between similar platorms I think. The Windows 10 version of Pocket Edition can join other Pocket Edition players on those devices though.

None of the Pocket Editions are supported by Bukkit or Spigot.. Those programs are only for the Java based (PC) version of Minecraft.

The only PE server software base that I know of is the before mentioned PocketMine.

For Pocket Edition? I haven't seen any usermod for mutiplayer with PE, but please share if you have experience with it just so I don't waste my time with it.

But again, we're talking pre-teens, so I'll assume they can go a couple of years without being serious mutiplayers, lol.

Top Bottom