Migration guide - do permalinks migrate form vb4 ?

Can you clarify What you mean by permalinks?
Do you mean links to threads and posts embedded in posts?

Any old links in search engines, etc. will be redirected using the redirection script, so there is no need to worry about updating anything.

Any old links in search engines, etc. will be redirected using the redirection script, so there is no need to worry about updating anything.
hmm, just tried this with a link for a thread in my old vb forums and got a 404 error. Are there any specific scripts we need to download for VB 3.x redirection?

Can you clarify What you mean by permalinks?
Do you mean links to threads and posts embedded in posts?

I mean:
- Inbound links from emails, web sites, to threads in our forum
- Cross posts from thread to thread (which use the same urls as from outside)

You mean that xF knows what the url would have been in vB, and xlates it to an xF url ?
(that would be tasty!)

You mean that xF knows what the url would have been in vB, and xlates it to an xF url ?
(that would be tasty!)
As part of the vB to XF import process you are prompted if you want to save a cross-reference table of the source IDs to the new XF IDs. If you save that optional table (it isn't required) then the "Redirecting URLs" section of that page Brogan linked to would be applicable.

EDIT: To clarify, not every single vB URL will have redirect available to it, only the important ones like thread links.

As part of the vB to XF import process you are prompted if you want to save a cross-reference table of the source IDs to the new XF IDs. If you save that optional table (it isn't required) then the "Redirecting URLs" section of that page Brogan linked to would be applicable.

EDIT: To clarify, not every single vB URL will have redirect available to it, only the important ones like thread links.

That rocks. Great job!!

If this existed for vb4.0 forums and blogs, we would be on it tomorrow!

We will check back in a couple of months and see where the blog feature stands.

I am really impressed with xF, the product, the team, the approach, the community. Very nice work. Really glad I found xF (vB has served us well, we have run it for 6+ years, but it is past its prime at this point).

Top Bottom