migrating to VPS host, a few questions

zoldos

I have a XF 1.5.7 forum with around 1250 members (at most, 10 members on-line at once, but usually 3 or 4). The VPS I'm looking at has 4GB ram and 2 "vcores". Will this run my site? Thanks!

I have a XF 1.5.7 forum with around 1250 members (at most, 10 members on-line at once, but usually 3 or 4). The VPS I'm looking at has 4GB ram and 2 "vcores". Will this run my site? Thanks!
Hi,

I don't think you have to pay for a VPS. A shared hosting account will be enough.

Shared hosting or premium hosting/semi dedicated hosting (as its called) from a decent host should be more than enough for your traffic. For a reliable and amazing shared hosting provider, I suggest MDDHosting (check out their reviews and you'll be convinced, was with them for 5 years).

If you go the VPS route, get in touch and check out @MattW's services, he's the best at what he does and you'll feel your forum perform a lot faster if you use his hosting/hire him to optimize your server.

The VPS I'm considering is only $14 a month, but my original question has *not* been answered .lol

Does Xenforo run good with the host system (Ubunto 16.06) running 4GB of ram and two "virtual" processor cores? I'm not interested in shared unless it can match these prices/stats AND allows adult content.

Thanks!

The VPS I'm considering is only $14 a month, but my original question has *not* been answered .lol

Does Xenforo run good with the host system (Ubunto 16.06) running 4GB of ram and two "virtual" processor cores? I'm not interested in shared unless it can match these prices/stats AND allows adult content.

Thanks!
It would run, but know that cheap VPS's can be a step down from shared performance if the provider is not reliable, VPS isn't always better than shared as you get what you pay for in the webhosting market.

Xenforo will run on anything where you have website capacity hosting. It comes down to addons you use, search type and overall people online at once that determine your load. Add-ons can drive a busy board to another CPU, just for them. Keep adding them, without traffic, you can find yourself adding RAM and CPU, due to nothing other than add-ons.

A stock standard XF with next to no additions would power along on a single core processor and a couple gig of ram using ssd cloud with probably around 100 online, no probs. Add elastic search, you will need another core and more ram, just for that single server / site addition. Java, to power ES, is a resource hog.

It all comes down to add-ons and how many you have online at once, not how many members you have, which often determines your overall hosting requirements.

Xenforo will run on anything where you have website capacity hosting. It comes down to addons you use, search type and overall people online at once that determine your load. Add-ons can drive a busy board to another CPU, just for them. Keep adding them, without traffic, you can find yourself adding RAM and CPU, due to nothing other than add-ons.

A stock standard XF with next to no additions would power along on a single core processor and a couple gig of ram using ssd cloud with probably around 100 online, no probs. Add elastic search, you will need another core and more ram, just for that single server / site addition. Java, to power ES, is a resource hog.

It all comes down to add-ons and how many you have online at once, not how many members you have, which often determines your overall hosting requirements.
I have about 20 add-ons. Stuff like groups, galleries, blogs, etc. And a lot of smaller and cosmetic stuff. The most members I've ever seen on at once was around 15, but this is not all day. There are peak times.

You probably need a VPS.

From what you're saying, it seems like a basic shared host is fine.

It doesn't matter how many members you have registered (not all of them sign on at the same time everyday).

What matters is your daily overall traffic and what your site does. You cold have 5,000 guests online and 3 registered members online, but you wouldn't base your hosting decision on just the 3 members. It would be based on overall traffic/visitors.

If you ran a blog with 5 authors, but received xx,xxx visitors per day, then you'd need something a little stronger. Just showing an example of how number of users registered doesn't typically matter.

Check out HawkHost.com. I was with them for ages and they ALWAYS had great uptime and customer support. Don't forget to use the coupon codes if you go there.

You can also read about hosting on WebHostingTalk.com - forum dedicated to hosting. They are BRUTAL on reviews there, which is a good thing.

@drastic Thanks for the feedback! The VPS is from a company I've been using since earlier this year. All their packages are self-managed. I currently pay $60 a month for a fully dedicated account (I have another site that is a resource hog).

Anyway, I'm considering dropping the other site since $14 a month is a lot easier on the wallet and just wanted to see what people say about XF and resources.

I've never seen more than say 10 or 15 people on during peak hours and my site is private so bots/guests aren't allowed.

The core stats are plenty adequate. The question comes in on whether the "iron" (read the main server) that contains the containers are overloaded (over-sold) or not. If oversold, then you will get slowdowns no matter what you do.

The question comes in on whether the "iron" (read the main server) that contains the containers are overloaded (over-sold) or not.
Isn't Virtuozzo renown for this with "burst" ability versus say KVM which sets hard limits? Some hosts using it tend to split a 24 core processor (for example) into 12 x 2 core containers, but each one can burst to 4 cores or such, thus overloaded? Instead of say, 6 x 2 core containers, leaving half the processor cores available for the burst limits.

The core stats are plenty adequate. The question comes in on whether the "iron" (read the main server) that contains the containers are overloaded (over-sold) or not. If oversold, then you will get slowdowns no matter what you do.
I ran a VPS plan from them before (a higher one than the $14) and every night, from around 8pm - 10pm, I would have lag and slowness. Also, the account bandwidth was capped at 100 megabit. The dedicated account I run from them now has a 1 gigabit pipeline and I rarely have lag or downtime.

I seem to be securing some donations so I may be able to keep it as is! :)

@drastic Thanks for the feedback! The VPS is from a company I've been using since earlier this year. All their packages are self-managed. I currently pay $60 a month for a fully dedicated account (I have another site that is a resource hog).

Anyway, I'm considering dropping the other site since $14 a month is a lot easier on the wallet and just wanted to see what people say about XF and resources.

I've never seen more than say 10 or 15 people on during peak hours and my site is private so bots/guests aren't allowed.

Are you covering expenses with your ad income? (if not, inbox me your site. If it lines up with our site and can send some clicks, then I might buy an ad for a week/month to help out).

What makes the other site such a resource hog?

Are you covering expenses with your ad income?

What makes the other site such a resource hog?
I don't run any ads. I pay the hosting fees out of my paycheck, and also from monthly donations.

Not exactly sure why. It uses Zend, but is a bit bloated. I use Xcache now and my host is on a RAID SSD so it's very quick, but would probably kill a shared account. lol

Isn't Virtuozzo renown for this with "burst" ability versus say KVM which sets hard limits? Some hosts using it tend to split a 24 core processor (for example) into 12 x 2 core containers, but each one can burst to 4 cores or such, thus overloaded? Instead of say, 6 x 2 core containers, leaving half the processor cores available for the burst limits.
Any VPS technology (and especially OpenVZ container one) can (and normally is) oversold. It is dependent on how much ROI they try to push out of their configuration.

Last edited:
I don't run any ads. I pay the hosting fees out of my paycheck, and also from monthly donations.

Not exactly sure why. It uses Zend, but is a bit bloated. I use Xcache now and my host is on a RAID SSD so it's very quick, but would probably kill a shared account. lol

What exactly does your site do?

With that small amount of users, it's hard to imagine you need a VPS.

Doing a lot of video work or something?

Top Bottom