1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Migrating Servers + phpBB3 Import

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Chi Bearhawks, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Chi Bearhawks

Chi Bearhawks Member

I currently have a phpBB forum and two servers, one of which I'm going to be moving to momentarily. Just to make things simpler on my part, is it suggested that I move my site to the new server first, upload the phpBB3 database (it's small, just a couple of MB at the moment), and THEN install/import xenForo?

Also, if that's the order I should handle things, do I need anything besides my old database? I don't need to upload any files from phpBB3, do I?

2. JulianD

JulianD Well-Known Member

That's what I'd do. Make sure to move all your phpbb files as well, in case you need them. Shouldn't be too large neither.

3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You need the attachments and avatars from the file system.

While you can do a server move + import in one motion, I only recommend combining the two if you are practiced with both. Things can go wrong with a move as well as with an import. It is sometimes best to move first, let it settle in, make sure everything is working, then do an import.

4. Chi Bearhawks

Chi Bearhawks Member

Ok. I only have avatars, so is it ok to just upload ONLY the file path in phpbb for avatars, and nothing else?

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You need to enter the path to the avatars when configuring the importer.
    This needs to be on the same server.

6. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

It may require both paths in which case you can point it to an empty directory, but it probably has to exist.