Mid West People! Ice Everywhere!

Looks like the worst is passing me by. We'll be getting some freezing rain tonight, then snow, then more rain, then snow tomorrow. None of the blizzard stuff everyone else is getting.
Freezing rain still is a big deal on the roads; stay safe. :)

This is what our area roads are looking like right about now. A neighbor took this pic....

234506825.webp

What is an ice storm? Is it like hail?

Ice on the roads must be so dangerous, do take care and stay safe anyone in those areas!

What is an ice storm? Is it like hail?

Ice on the roads must be so dangerous, do take care and stay safe anyone in those areas!
An ice storm is rain that freezes and turns to ice before it reaches the ground. That's what I have going on in my area right now, but it's not really a storm, it's just raining ice.

We've just got cold and wind here. I think we are in for some rain later on today but no snow in our forecast, thank goodness.

We had 15cm of snow overnight, and 50 more coming between today and tomorrow.

The most I seen in a 3 day period was 140cm's of snow when I lived in Northern Ontario. That year we had so much snow that personal snow blowers could not blow the snow over the banks.

The most snow in a season I seen was in Goose Bay, Labrador. The drifts were so high that the CO of our Base had to issue a memo telling people to not snowmobile on top of the hangars. Some parts of the roads ran through tunnels of snow. Driveways were tunnels too. The worst part was that parents had to check the outsides of the houses for trapped kids, as the snow would melt about 8 inches from the sides, and drop about 8 feet down.

Top Bottom