XF 2.2 merging accounts who prevails ?

jtorral

After a migration from vb5 members cannot log on without resetting their passwords. In some cases members do not get email about new password because they their original email from many years ago is now invalid.

They have been creating new accounts and asking me to reset their old password then delet the new account once they log in with their old account.

The question is a ......

If I merge a new account with an old account, does the new account password become the password for the old account? In other words can they log on to the old account using the password they created with the new account after a merge?

Thanks

The text in the ACP explains what happens when merging accounts.

1673117233191.webp

The target account user name and password will remain the same.

After a migration from vb5 members cannot log on without resetting their passwords.
There are two possible causes here:
  1. They enter the wrong password
  2. Data was not migrated properly
I'd try to find out which of those is causing the issue and if it is 2) report it as a bug.

If I merge a new account with an old account, does the new account password become the password for the old account? In other words can they log on to the old account using the password they created with the new account after a merge?
No. Content is merged into the target account, so you would have to merge them the other way round (eg. merge old into new), this would allow them to log in with the credentials of the new account and access all content of the old account.

well, i know for a fact its the migration. I did the migration 3 times. passwords never came across correctly. This was validated with a dozen or so people trying to log in with the same passwords from the old site.

Will file a report.

JT

If you have a known valid password for a vBuletin 5 account that does not work, feel free to send me the password and corresponding values of fields scheme and token in vBulletin table user and i'll take a look.

Alternatively you may try to replace file src/XF/Authenticate/vBulletin5.php with the attached file as I think the stock version is utterly broken ;)

If you wonder why not all accounts were affected:
The unaffected accounts have passwords that were created / last updated with vBulletin 3 or 4 which has an entirely different authentication scheme - the XenForo vBulletin3/4 Authentication handler works fine.

Attachments

Last edited:
Great :)

You will get a file health check error though and keep in mind that the file will be overwritten if you upgrade XenForo, so you might have to re-apply the fix (if XenForo doesn't include it in XF 2.2.13)

I've filed a bug report for this already:

last question about the merge.

If I merge old into new, does the content owned by the old account appear as it belongs to the new account? I really don't want to accidentally delete years of content from a member if I do a merge.

You cvan see peoples response to the password issue here:

Thanks

Top Bottom