Merge & Import Question

xlegends

Hi guys,

I have 2 forums at VB425/php71

The goal is, I want them merged into 1 forum and changed over to XenForo.

Is it best to merge them first then import into XenForo or import them separately into XenForo then merge.

So basically is it easier to merge as 2 Vb forums or 2 XenForo forums?

Also, all I care about is the members, forums, threads & posts.

As u know, merging tools for VB/impex are outdated and would require to be contracted out.

I thought maybe it would be easier for me or whomever to do the merge after they convert to XenForo.

Any number of forums from different software can be imported into the same XF installation.

Accounts with the same name or email address can be merged or renamed.

This is music to my ears.

Now, I have like a thousand overlapping clients. Is there an automation process or do I have to interact every step when there is a duplicate detected?

The XF2 importers automatically rename them and then tell you at the end what they were changed to.

This allows CLI importing (and multi-threaded importing) to complete without being interrupted.

Hi mr Brogan,

I did a trial run last night. I used PHP import option instead of the CLI command line so I can see what that looks like. All went pretty smooth. Only 1 minor issue. The forum (node) permissions were a little off which is no biggie if thats expected.

Also, I didnt do the XF docs recommended preparation step of moving all the vb4 forums into 1 category on source DB. Not sure if that would have helped the permissions to migrate better. I skipped it cause it seemed like a lot of work.

Let me know if u have any further recommendations. If not, Im going to restore XF to the default clean initial setup DB and then I will migrate both vb4 forums one at a time on top of each other. This time I will run both imports via CLI.

ya so im looking thru I had special mod groups, Team Mods, chief mods, etc that didnt get migrated as mods and all my regular custom user posts go to moderation.

This is no normal that some of the user/group and mode permissions are off a bit?

If so Im ready to roll and do a real migration and clean up after.

The mapping isn't an exact science, which is why all user groups and permissions should be checked after importing.

Make a note of any steps you take for your test imports and it's then easy and quick to work through those steps when doing the final import.

Brogan is this the correct

XenForo redirects for vBulletin 4

I thought it shipped with the product?

XenForo redirects for vBulletin 4

I thought it shipped with the product?
The latest version is 1.1.5 - download it here:

Well I installed the redirect addon, went to options, I picked out of the import log hit save and nothing happened.

Even the first DB forum I imported where it kept the same IDs, the old links aren't accessible

vb4 old link
/forums/showthread.php?267-Vip-Support-Poll!!!

XF new link
/forums/index.php?threads/vip-support-poll.267/

and the 2nd import is more complex as the IDs changed

any ideas?

Attachments

• redirect.webp
    redirect.webp
    8.5 KB · Views: 2
Top Bottom