XF 1.5 Mentions aren't alerting Users...

Jwrbloom

As I was experiencing the problem, I noticed I had Maximum mention alerts per message set to 0. They all now say unlimited. Still not working. I changed mine to 15 to test it. Still not working.

I don't know when it stopped working, but it's been awhile. I'm getting more Users, so I'm wanting it to work. I just upgraded to 1.5.11 from 1.5.10.

These are my add-ons.

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 5.36.52 PM.webp

Use the Permission Analyzer to rule out any other secondary groups overriding that value..

And keep in mind mention alerts only work for new posts/replies, they don't work if you do a mention when editing a post..

Thanks, I just increased the number of "Maximum mention alerts per message" to 25 (from 5) for the members.

I usually receive an email when someone quotes my post to reply. But I just noticed this: "This message was sent to you because you opted to watch the thread XF 1.5 - Mentions aren't alerting Users... at XenForo Community with email notification of new replies. You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages."

So, tell me if I'm right: every time someone replies to a thread, I will only receive that "first post" alert since I last visited the thread. If I don't go read it, I will not be notified of other replies. If I read it, I will receive a new alert via email.

Thanks!

Therefore I'm instructing members correctly here?

"OK, I think the mystery is solved.

The alerts are conditional. So, every time someone replies to a thread, we only receive that "first post" alert since we last visited the thread.

If we don't go read that reply, we will not be notified of new replies.

If we click on the link to go read it, we will then receive a new alert via email when a new reply is posted.

As for the mentions, if we edit a post to add a mention after it was posted, it will not send an alert. Only in the first instance do the alerts work."

Does that make sense?

Hi @creativeforge, yes that's correct behaviour for email notifications in relation to watching a thread (by default you auto-watch a thread when you post a reply).

The issue @Jwrbloom described was actually to do with mention alerts (if I tag/mention you using: @creativeforge) you would get an XF alert on the top right corner. Out of the box there is no email notifications for mention alerts.

Hi @creativeforge, yes that's correct behaviour for email notifications in relation to watching a thread (by default you auto-watch a thread when you post a reply).

The issue @Jwrbloom described was actually to do with mention alerts (if I tag/mention you using: @creativeforge) you would get an XF alert on the top right corner. Out of the box there is no email notifications for mention alerts.

I see, so the "Maximum mention alerts per message" setting in Permissions, what is it for?

It controls how many members you can mention (aka tag) with the @ symbol for a given post.

This permission actually used to be called "Maximum tag alerts per message" I think in some ways the old name was more clear but can be ambiguous now that XF supports thread tagging out of the box..

edit: it's not a hard limit, members can still exceed the number - it's just the XF alerts will only be generated up to this number

Top Bottom