XF 2.1 How to make user mentions (@-ing) unavailable to some usergroups?

Hilary

Hi,

I want to arrange things so only some usergroups can '@' other members. I thought I'd achieved this by setting 'maximum mention alerts' for one usergroup to zero. But no... that means that when they type '@SID' everything appears to be working normally: they see the dropdown, select sid, and a link to sid appears in their post. The only difference is that sid isn't notified of the mention.

How can I turn it off altogether, so typing '@SID' does nothing, and they can see it isn't working?

Thanks for any help!

Thanks - it looks like a good add-on anyway, and I've asked him about it. I wouldn't want to enable/disable per forum, but let one usergroup use the feature everywhere & disable it for others.

It sounds like this add-on is what you're looking for: See my edit at the end of this post.

@DragonByte Tech might be able to answer any questions for you. The Feature List page shows this:

User Group Mentions
The ability to mention user groups are an invaluable tool for active forums who want a quick-fire way of alerting staff members to goings-on that do not warrant a full report, or as a way to alert a small group of members such as site supporters.

You have complete control over which user groups can be mentioned, and which user groups can mention other user groups. For performance reasons, user group alerts are disabled by default and must be enabled on a per-user group basis. You also have a "Can mention user groups" permission to restrict the ability to mention groups.

User group mentions even work in profile posts, and they are styled with the user group's CSS styles!

User Tags
Your members will also have the ability to tag other users in a thread, very similar to how content tags are added to threads at the moment. To users with the appropriate permissions, a new option appears next to the existing thread tag feature that will open a very similar overlay to allow them to enter other user names.

Who can tag users in threads is controlled both globally (XenForo options, next to the existing content tag options), per-user group and per-forum. On the subject of forums, the alerts (and search results when viewing threads any user is tagged in) respect forum permissions. Users are never alerted if they are tagged in private forums.

Further than that, each individual member will have a new Privacy option under the "Allow users to..." block, called "Tag you in content".

EDIT: I purchased this to test it out. It only provides permissions for usergroup tagging, not tagging of individual members. I'll reach out to see if this is a feature they can add to their add-on.

Last edited: