Design issue Memory exhausted

Thomas

We got this today when users tried to answer to a longer thread (>70K posts)

[06-Jun-2012 14:23:18] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 32 bytes) in /home/www/www.domainname.de/forum/library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php

Why is xf do something with the exisiting posts inside a thread when trying to add a new reply?

We upped the memory limit but with threads growing won't this happen again and again?

We got this today when users tried to answer to a longer thread (>70K posts)

[06-Jun-2012 14:23:18] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 32 bytes) in /home/www/www.domainname.de/forum/library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php

Why is xf do something with the exisiting posts inside a thread when trying to add a new reply?

We upped the memory limit but with threads growing won't this happen again and again?

These errors are difficult to debug.

I am looking through the code for possible sources of high memory usage when posting a reply. How many users are watching that thread? Look in the xf_thread_watch table. If it is a highly watched thread then that could explain the memory usage on reply.

Do you have any addons installed? If so try disabling them.

If the error persists then I can debug it if you give me access to your forum. But I need to be able to reproduce the error myself which means setting up a test environment.

It's really just an issue with very long threads. It's a tricky issue to handle - the only (short term) recommendation would be to starting a new "part 2" thread.

Top Bottom