XF 1.4 Members not getting an e mail alert

New Joe

I have been having many members telling me that they haven't been getting e mail alerts to watched Threads or when they have received a Conversation

Any reasons for this? or ideas?

Another common misconception: when you watch a thread, you only get an email for the first time someone answers and not for every single answer.
You will have to visit the forum again to get new notification emails.

The only thing that changed as part of 1.4 was the active user limit for watched content. This is not related to conversations.

If conversation emails aren't going out and you're sure they should be (based on config), that would imply that all mail is broken. If nothing changed, you may want to contact your host about it (or your SMTP provider, if you're using an external SMTP server). Alternatively, you could try changing mail to be sent via SMTP (though this isn't preferred).

Mine was not related to conversation. They weren't getting alert emails. If they unwatched and watched again then alerts would work.

So basically new alerts are fine but existing alerts failed to notify by email.

That would seem to imply that they were set to watch the thread without emails explicitly. Unwatching and rewatching would do nothing but recreate the same record in one table otherwise.

That would seem to imply that they were set to watch the thread without emails explicitly. Unwatching and rewatching would do nothing but recreate the same record in one table otherwise.
Well the feedback was coming from staff who know how to use the forum. It was the moderator forum they were watching. Their email alerts stopped after the upgrade and they had to reset them. I've no idea how many of the regular membership it affects.

Is there a way I can run a query to jump start everyone's current settings without resetting them?

No, because nothing changed in the upgrade related to this. The closest change is that there is an option that only sends alerts/emails to people who have been active in the last 6 months by default; simply visiting the forum would be enough to avoid that (unless you have something else going wrong; you can confirm this by looking at the last activity time on the ACP user edit page).

Top Bottom