• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Member Map

A little question to the users of this add-on.

As of 1.1 users are allowed to have multiple locations (you can define if, and how many locations a user can have in the permissions).
The problem that now raises is the sidebar. Do you want the names to be listed once for each of the locations, or what?

I wouldnt want to see the same names twice. Ipersonally thing that would make the ist look funny, Maybe a 2 next to the username. Not sure how this would be coded but if a user has multiple pins it would be cool if clicking the username would highlight all the pins associated with that user.

I agree with VonDoom. Definitely a count vs multiple instances. I guess following suit with xenforos little tooltips you could have one pop on the map up when hovering over the username count? Altho realistically is it possible to layover anything on that map? Perhaps have it just only show the relevant pins of a user when clicked and have all other pins disappear?

This is how I'm going to do it for users.
Skjermbilde 2011-06-06 kl. 02.02.49.webp
The list is collapsed pr default, and opens when clicked.

I'll see what I can do with the other markers when a user with multiple locations is clicked. Initially I only planed to change the color of them to red.

Do not know, if someone has already suggested this!

Is it possible to use the small User Avatar as Marker!?

I don't think its impossible but if you have a lot of users that would get rather crowded and the avatar would have to be fairly tiny wouldn't it?

At the moment if you click the marker the avatar does appear on the side of the map.

Maybe it can be slightly tweaked to pop up on hover and over the marker? Possibly a better option?

It is definitely possible, but would cause the map to be insanely slow you have a significant amount of members in it. Say you have 100 members, that would require 100 separate HTTP requests just to fetch all the avatars. Which is about 10-20 times more than a regular xF wrapper (without user content).

I don't think its impossible but if you have a lot of users that would get rather crowded and the avatar would have to be fairly tiny wouldn't it?

At the moment if you click the marker the avatar does appear on the side of the map.

Maybe it can be slightly tweaked to pop up on hover and over the marker? Possibly a better option?
Opening the member card when clicking a marker can be annoying, especially if you're just clicking around to see where various members are located. I have how ever changed that the profile link in the little info box opens the card, instead of sending you directly to the profile.

On Saturday I will be gone on vacation for 4 weeks. No development will be done while I'm gone, except for bug fixes if needed.

Opening the member card when clicking a marker can be annoying, especially if you're just clicking around to see where various members are located. I have how ever changed that the profile link in the little info box opens the card, instead of sending you directly to the profile.

On Saturday I will be gone on vacation for 4 weeks. No development will be done while I'm gone, except for bug fixes if needed.

>< lol I was referring to popping up avatars as thats what the guy above said lol! Member cards popping up would just be irritating as you said. What you said sounds fine for me I actually have no preference. Completely happy with the way it was when I started using it too lol.

Happy Holidaying Martin!

Any word on a fix?
I'm afraid not. I've looked at the code for quite a while, and can't see what's tripping IE off, all looks perfectly normal to me. Googling the error message doesn't reveal a pot of gold either.
Perhaps the file is slightly corrupted, and a re-upload of the /js/memberMap/ folder would fix it.

When I was using vb3 I had one like this installed that my users loved using. As my site is about aviation I used it to display all the airfields in my country. The user could click on a pointer on the map representing an airfield and the popup would display all the information about the airfield like runway length, radio frequency etc all inputed as a text field. I still have the mod files if anyone wants it

View attachment 17119 View attachment 17120 View attachment 17121 View attachment 17122 View attachment 17123

This type of functionality I would desperately want and willing to pay for. I am sure many other users would find it useful as well...you could create a location map of fast food outlets, members, fishing spots, retail outlets...the list is endless...any chance this addon could get to be like this or is anyone (Martin?) willing for a price to do this for me
That is all planned for v1.1/2.0 :)

Many thanks Martin for a great add-on. Installed and all working great :)

Cheers
Paul
Glad you like it :)

...That is all planned for v1.1/2.0 :)

If you are taking requests... any chance on pulling the location field from the users profile?

At least on our forum our members put in as much information as they want the world to know - such as city / state, or just state. If they show up in the wrong place because not enough information was provided then that is their problem :)

Specifically if they say they are located in Paris, and they show up in France, but they meant Paris Texas - they could fix it if they wanted to.

Any word on a fix?
I'm afraid not. I've looked at the code for quite a while, and can't see what's tripping IE off, all looks perfectly normal to me. Googling the error message doesn't reveal a pot of gold either.
Perhaps the file is slightly corrupted, and a re-upload of the /js/memberMap/ folder would fix it.

I guess no one else is having problems, i'll look into it a bit closer. Thanks (y)

Top Bottom