• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Member Map

Can this mod automatically put a marker on the map whenever a member adds their location?

Also, can it delete the marker after they take it off their location in their profile options?

If not, how can we do that with this mod?

As I'm also an IP.Board dev too, I've been quite busy these days getting my add-ons compatible with that, in addition to other post-vacation duties.

I have no idea when I'm back working on this add-on, so I'm afraid I can't give you an ETA.

You want the users to automatically show up on the map without no further interactions on their side? As you said yourself, that will create problems as many places around the globe share the same name, Google will always choose the "biggest" location. This will have the biggest impact on "local" forums, one for Texas for example, where the users would only enter the name of the city. Just writing "Paris" would have them show up in France, while writing "Paris, TX" would show the correct location.

And people use that field to write all sort of gibberish too, which you also have to account for. That's why I settled for the solution I use today. If they've entered something in their location field, that is automatically added to the search field when they open the form, and - if they allow, HTML5 Geolocation will also attempt to find their location.
Yes, it would be great if whatever they put in their location automatically put them on the member map, even if it's the wrong location. As long as their on the map, that's all that matters lol. It would lead to some funny entries.

Automatically adding the members to the map using the location set in their profile? I did think about that myself, but I didn't like the idea of "stealing" it from the members without their consent.
And I don't trust Google's Geocode API, if you for example have a Canadian forum, and a member there have "London" as their location, the API will return London, UK, not London, Ontario, CA.
Instead of doing that, I set the default value of the search field to their location.

I want the ability for System Admin to be able to select whether or not to automatically add members location to the member map.

Can the map auto zoom on launch to where the members are pinned? Instead of the whole planet I mean? We have a city specific website and its kind of dumb having the whole planet as the page. So basically the widest the map is shown is to where the furthest east and west members are pinned.

Can the map auto zoom on launch to where the members are pinned? Instead of the whole planet I mean? We have a city specific website and its kind of dumb having the whole planet as the page. So basically the widest the map is shown is to where the furthest east and west members are pinned.

there is setting for default zoom level, configurable via the ACP

cool. before i install this, zoom level to what though? can i see what seetings in the admin cp? screenshot? or can you just let me know. Will it zoom as I asked to the pins or is it a zoom in general?

thanks in advance.

cool. before i install this, zoom level to what though? can i see what seetings in the admin cp? screenshot? or can you just let me know. Will it zoom as I asked to the pins or is it a zoom in general?

thanks in advance.

two attachements for this reply..

membermap.png is the ACP
zoom10.png is what you get with a zoom level setting of 10

~peace

Attachments

• membermap.webp
    membermap.webp
    14.6 KB · Views: 20
  • zoom10.webp
    zoom10.webp
    100.2 KB · Views: 17
Doesnt seem to work under 1.1 - Whilst members all are listed, google map doesnt work... :(

Top Bottom