1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Media Gallery New Posts on Forum Home

Discussion in 'Media Gallery Closed Suggestions' started by FriscoCharlie, Aug 24, 2015.

1. FriscoCharlie

FriscoCharlie Active Member

Sorry, I couldn't decide whether or not to post this as a Media Gallery suggestion or a Xenforo suggestion.

On the forum home, if you turn on the Recent Media option (we have it positioned above the forums), you get the newest uploads, but some of my members are telling me that they like to look at random images (we have about 125,000 uploads).

My suggestion, is to have a toggle at the top of that block to select "random" or "new" media items for viewing.

Before we changed to XF we did have a random option on the other platform, and I guess that people enjoyed that more than I realized (based on comments that I am getting).

Thanks for listening. :)

Donny likes this.
  2. Donny

Donny Active Member

I'm sure I have random selected on mine.

3. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

There is a random option already in the ACP.

Screenshot_2015-08-24-23-34-59.png

4. Donny

Donny Active Member

Thought I was correct. :)
    Had to look myself. Beat me to the reply @Martok.

5. FriscoCharlie

Is there a way to let the user select?

Charlie

6. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

There isn't but it should be a relatively trivial thing to do, with template conditionals and custom fields.

This is quite advanced, but there is a guide here which people have used to do similar things with a wide range of add-ons and features ultimately giving more control to their users:

Using Custom User Fields To Customise The Layout

Donny likes this.
  7. FriscoCharlie

Thank you. As a suggestion, it might be nice to show new media at the top of the forum and random ones in the sidebar (or vice versa).

Thanks again.