1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maximum Number of Search Results, whats the MAX should it be?

Discussion in 'General XenForo Discussion and Feedback' started by surfsup, Sep 30, 2012.

1. surfsup

surfsup Well-Known Member

If on a dedicated server, whats the max amount of search results that should appear?

I have it set to 800 but what if people want searches from past that?

Just throwing out off the wall questions ;)
  2. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

It really depends on the thread/post count of your forums and the server you're hosting them on. 800 is fine for a smaller site as the result set will be less - on a 1+ million post forum you'll like create a large/long query using 800 results which may slow your site down or make searching a laborious task for you and your members.

For larger sites (1 million posts +) these is an enhanced search add-on - but it's only really applicable if you have a dedicated server.

Shaun :D
  3. surfsup

surfsup Well-Known Member

I just bought the enhanced search addon - but I have about 360k+ posts so far....

I just installed it as well, so maybe now I can put the number up higher or what do you personally recommend?
  4. CyclingTribe

CyclingTribe Well-Known Member

Just tune it to suit your board - fewer results is quicker (but the results don't got as far back in time for popular searches) - more results gives, well, more. (y)

There comes a point though where lots more results becomes a bit pointless because people only look so far back anyway. How often to you go to the 25th page of Google results?
    surfsup likes this.