Maximum Number of Search Results, whats the MAX should it be?

surfsup

If on a dedicated server, whats the max amount of search results that should appear?

I have it set to 800 but what if people want searches from past that?

Just throwing out off the wall questions ;)

It really depends on the thread/post count of your forums and the server you're hosting them on. 800 is fine for a smaller site as the result set will be less - on a 1+ million post forum you'll like create a large/long query using 800 results which may slow your site down or make searching a laborious task for you and your members.

For larger sites (1 million posts +) these is an enhanced search add-on - but it's only really applicable if you have a dedicated server.

Cheers,
Shaun :D

It really depends on the thread/post count of your forums and the server you're hosting them on. 800 is fine for a smaller site as the result set will be less - on a 1+ million post forum you'll like create a large/long query using 800 results which may slow your site down or make searching a laborious task for you and your members.

For larger sites (1 million posts +) these is an enhanced search add-on - but it's only really applicable if you have a dedicated server.

Cheers,
Shaun :D
I just bought the enhanced search addon - but I have about 360k+ posts so far....

I just installed it as well, so maybe now I can put the number up higher or what do you personally recommend?

Just tune it to suit your board - fewer results is quicker (but the results don't got as far back in time for popular searches) - more results gives, well, more. (y)

There comes a point though where lots more results becomes a bit pointless because people only look so far back anyway. How often to you go to the 25th page of Google results?

Top Bottom