Mark Unread

Daniel Hood

It'd be nice to be able to mark a post as unread. Sometimes when I'm checking on things from my phone, I can't respond right away. The problem is that I'm human and forget to go back, sometimes. I think it'd be useful if there was an "Unread" link next to the other options (Report, Like, etc) which just makes it so the user's last thread view date becomes the second before the post was made. This should allow the thread to show up in the unread watched threads list which would be very beneficial.

Upvote 36
Why not something like Outlook's flag, but just use them for "later review".

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 2.10.54 AM.webp
If one wanted to get really fancy with it, the back end could have an option so that you could set different colored flags for different "meanings" (or the users could) and then have a user panel option to pull up your "flagged" posts.

Kind of like out OSX mail does

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 2.14.04 AM.webp

I can see how that would be able to be expanded on by developers also.

Ummmm "book mark" is less characters :) A rose by any other name ....
Really? "Bookmark" has less characters than "flag"? OK, guess translations shorten it. :p
The point is to think outside of the standard box.. let the users designate what their flags are for. :D

I'll see where this one goes.. or they can split it off... I dont' typically make suggestions.. I just like to see how existing ones could be improved on if possible. ;)

I do not comprehend the need for an "extra" feature... why not just porting the read/unread toggle function from the conversations? Simple, integrated and consistent with XF. I support the initial thought of @Daniel Hood, I would be down for it.

toggle_read.webp

I do not comprehend the need for an "extra" feature... why not just porting the read/unread toggle function from the conversations? Simple, integrated and consistent with XF. I support the initial thought of @Daniel Hood, I would be down for it.
Because I don't think the code can easily be changed to reflect a read/unread status.. as soon as you view the thread again, it (whether it was that particular post or not) it will go back to unread. The complexity is hinted at my Mikes statement
However, this is decidedly more difficult in the general case because forums can be marked as read (either manually or automatically). I really haven't come up with a good solution for that.
A bookmark/flag would make more sense if the purpose is for coming back to later.

A bookmark/flag would make more sense if the purpose is for coming back to later.
I agree.
Rather than marking the thread as unread, an alternative approach could be to "flag" the thread at a particular post.
That could be saved as a (temporary) list which would essentially just be links to specific posts within threads.

I believe there are several existing suggestions related to bookmarking.

I'm running an add-on which allows alerts to be marked as unread, but being able to mark a particular post or have a list of marked posts would be really nice.

It'd be nice to be able to mark a post as unread. Sometimes when I'm checking on things from my phone, I can't respond right away. The problem is that I'm human and forget to go back, sometimes.
Good idea, I really miss this feature, which is core into SMF. Hope to see it in Xenforo too ;)

However, this is decidedly more difficult in the general case because forums can be marked as read (either manually or automatically). I really haven't come up with a good solution for that.
@Mike
Why not include a Book Mark feature? That way the posts that need to be re-read and replied to at a later date can be easily logged and referenced on the users profile page.

Bookmarking is really a totally different feature and requires a different user flow (namely, looking at your bookmarks). A simple comparison within XF is the difference between starring a conversation and marking it as unread. They will (or do for me) trigger different things mentally.

This is a perpetual problem for Xenforo.
People *want* an option more reliable than missing one notification being interpreted as you have zero interest anymore.

The casual feel to notifications is fine on a gaming site but feels unprofessional on Xenforo.com and dangerous on other sites.

The fact that an addon author is missing my support request because of this limitation seems silly.

If a more permanent subscription would take that much overhead ... Then limit it with permissions ?

Bookmarking is really a totally different feature and requires a different user flow (namely, looking at your bookmarks).
True but then if there was a "mark unread" they would have to go through all the new posts plus the ones they marked unread, at least with a book mark it would pinpoint specifically those posts of interest the reader wanted to respond to.

Couldn't this be done with a simple on/off field? Flagged

You coud use it on all content types and have a simple list view that shows all flagged content - allowing you to go back to whatever it is you didn't want to forget.

Pop a Flagged Content link in the user drop-down:

upload_2016-9-13_23-34-31.webp

... and you could even have third-party add-on developers tie-in to it with their content types too.

Just a thought. (y)

Why does marking something as unread then prompt you to read it in the future?

There are many threads that I don't read, and so remain unread.

Or, is it explicitly the combination of a watched thread with unread posts that makes it useful?
Because in the specific forum I work with, I read everything, and what is unread needs replying. If it is marked as read but I can't respond immediately, I won't find it again and will forget to reply. No amount of bookmarking will help me remember to go there. I normally click what's new, new posts, and reply in order.

Did anyone find a solution?

Top Bottom