Mark media as NSFW and a user setting to hide NSFW/Erotic media

Alpha1

Some of our members upload adult images that are definitely NSFW.
While this is fine with our community rules, I would like to offer our members an option to hide NSFW media.
Because not everyone is happy with such images.

Please consider to add a function for media owners to mark media and albums as NSFW or Erotic.
And a setting for members not to show NSFW images to them.

Optimally there would also be a function for readers to flag an image as NSFW. If X members flag an image as NSFW then it will be changed to NSFW status. This way the NSFW doesnt only rely on the author, but the community can change it to.

Last edited:
Upvote 17
Good suggestion.

meanwhile, presumably you could do something with categories and permissions. so people who opt out just don't see those categories.

Sadly I don't think you can combine albums into categories yet.

meanwhile, presumably you could do something with categories and permissions. so people who opt out just don't see those categories.
We have 40k media uploaded by 220k members in 4k albums and 200 categories, which was imported from vb albums, Photopost Pro, Links & Downloads Manager. NSFW content is spread all over and cannot be managed with categories and usergroup permissions.

The most important reason usergroup permissions do not help is that its a personal preference, not a per usergroup limitation.

i've long wanted this feature myself since we started. i ended up just making a forum specifically hidden from the public and required all NSFW media be spoilered.

Was there ever any movement on this?

Reddit has a great method of spoiler hiding where they use a default overlay with 'reveal spolier' on it. You could do something like that. I really need this.

Here's my problem, the spoiler tags every uses are useless for NSFW. everyone thinks it's helping those people at work. well it's not. the images still load, they just aren't displayed. so any sniffing at a job is picking them up regardless of whether someone sees them or not

I would like to see a default overlay for NSFW pictures and text 'load NSFW image' or similar. NOT loading the images/content when the thread is clicked and AJAXing it in when the user clicks it.

That is a legit NSFW option.

is anyone doing this?

This is a good idea. I asked if there was something similar in XenGallery as some photo's on my site are of gory injuries.

It's not too bad when you can browse straight past it, but the problem is when a user posts such an image and it gets featured in the recent images block on the home page. It may stay there for a while until new images replace it forcing all visitors to look at it repeatedly until new content is uploaded.

Another issue with NSFW media is that XFMG privacy works in such way that members can set their media privacy to 'members you follow'. These members do not necessarily follow the user back. They might not even know the user exists.
Yet, when the user sets their privacy like this, the followed members will get an alert: 'UserX has shared the album P0rn pics with you'
When they click on the alert they get a stream of NSFW media shoved in their face.And any time they open the main gallery they will see those.

Its not strange that some people will consider that harassment. Even though its just a manifestation of how the media gallery works.

This becomes even more problematic if the receiving members are female and the member setting the privacy is male.

This is a good idea. I asked if there was something similar in XenGallery as some photo's on my site are of gory injuries.

It's not too bad when you can browse straight past it, but the problem is when a user posts such an image and it gets featured in the recent images block on the home page. It may stay there for a while until new images replace it forcing all visitors to look at it repeatedly until new content is uploaded.
I've never looked through the Xenforo API but this couldn't be very difficult.

I've got an idea how to automate some NSFW stuff too but it's way too early to talk about. But what i mentioned above I think would be really valuable. it could also stop from getting some forums blocked by workplace filtering

hrm. there's got to be documentation thought right? i've never looked

Well, obviously i've never looked or I'd have known this :)

Shocked.

API is a fairly generic term. Alfa1 is saying there's no REST style API.

There is very much so a highly flexible development API that allows almost any part of the software or its add ons to be extended.

API is a fairly generic term. Alfa1 is saying there's no REST style API.

There is very much so a highly flexible development API that allows almost any part of the software or its add ons to be extended.
Whew, that's what i thought.

Ok good deal. no clue how this all looks under the hood, but I have to say, we've been more impressed with you guys than any other platform we've used, going all the way back to vb2

clean clean clean

Great deal. we'll look. thanks!

EDIT: corrected to vb2 not 1

Was there ever anything like this that was developed? For me, its the Adsense violation notices on content inserted into posts. I'd like to be able to 'mark' it NSFW so I can request a review or allow a user to mark it as such and then add it as a criteria so ads aren't displayed on pages where some of the posts may have been NSFW.

Top Bottom