XF 1.0 Managing Reported Content

Well, you wouldn't have seen it because it's only exposed to moderators. :)

Moderator actions are invoked using the moderator bar that is at the top of every page. In this post, I'll be focusing on how moderators handle reported content.

Handling a report is a little more formalized than you might be used to. Reports are now tracked with a status, so that it's clear what has happened and, if you leave a comment, why.

report-moderator-bar.webp

This bar makes it easy to see when you have tasks outstanding, but doesn't get in the way of reading the forum.

Inside the reported items section, you are presented with a list of outstanding (open or assigned) reports:

report-overview.webp

This does not just have to show a list of reported posts. It will show any type of comment, including profile posts or those added by add-ons. (Add-ons simply need to implement the basic reporting functionality and write some code to interact with this system.)

You can also use the button in the upper right to view recently closed reports.

Diving into the report listed, we see:

report-view.webp

This shows us the content that was reported and any comments that may have been made. If a piece of content is reported multiple times, only one report will be created but all the comments will be listed here. Each moderator that can manage the report has the option of making a comment as well. This is important when the type of action that needs to be taken isn't 100% clear. Note that users that report content can't see this page or any of the comments that are made; they are for internal use only.

To modify the report's status, you must first claim the report. This is mostly important if you have two or more people who might handle the report. Once one person claims the report, the other can see that it's being handled. After claiming the report, the view switches slightly:

report-assigned.webp

Now, using the "go to content" button (which opens in a new window), you can manage the content directly. After you have taken your course of action, you'd come back to the report view and change the status. After submitting, you're taken back to the report list view to move on to the next thing.

After a report has been closed, it can be re-opened if needed:

report-reopen-comments.webp

A moderator's comment will automatically re-open it. Another user reporting the content will cause it to be re-opened; however, all of the comments will still be available to help you decide whether an action is really necessary.

Added September 22nd:
Floris has put together a video showing how the system works. Thanks, Floris!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks great Mike!

Very nice to see the tools behind the board, for the staff :) I especially like it that it's actually like a report system, with report tickets, rather then just a post. This makes it more organized and easier to manage.

You can see why I speak so highly of the Reported Items area: easy to track comments, Mods can have discussions for each report, can claim reports (assign to). Pretty nice and so much easier and faster than ways we have grown accustomed to in the past.

Hi

Being five to eight time zones adrift of the action in my forum I am never going to get to claim a reported post :( Hope the guys save me one

Regards

Dereck

Okay, okay, okeeeeeeeeee. If it goes on like this, I am sold :cool:. (I already was, but you get my point).

Like I posted here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/report-center.184/#post-4604 , I have been requested better management capabilities for stuff like this for years (6! to be precise... check the thread) over at vBulletin.com. This was my last posting about it to re-re-re-request it for vB4.1: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/show...(staf-zone).&p=1738201&viewfull=1#post1738201. Sometimes I felt I was one of the last Mohicans screaming for improvements.

In other words: I am so glad to see it in XenForo. Splendid.

Can we have automated resolution actions?
For example:
Select "Resolved - Hard Delete", click "Update report" and automatically delete the content.
Select "Resolved - Soft Delete", click "Update report" and automatically soft-delete the content.
Select "Rejected", enter a reason, click "Update report" and automatically send a PM back to user with the reason provided.

Edit:
Also, what happens when multiple people report the same content? Do the subsequent reports become comments?

Questions?

Obviously, staff members will have access to this so called report area (still not sure I'm wild about this idea as I hate how IPB implemented it). Can other usergroups (including custom groups) be given access to the report area as well, including the ability to interact and comment on the reports it contains?

When a comment is added to an existing report, is it included with the "What's New" link? Or do staff members have to remember to check the area to determine if new replies have been made to the reports?

Can we have automated resolution actions?
For example:
Select "Resolved - Hard Delete", click "Update report" and automatically delete the content.
Select "Resolved - Soft Delete", click "Update report" and automatically soft-delete the content.
Select "Rejected", enter a reason, click "Update report" and automatically send a PM back to user with the reason provided.
Those are some things I've thought about, but they're not options yet.

Also, what happens when multiple people report the same content? Do the subsequent reports become comments?
Yes.

Obviously, staff members will have access to this so called report area (still not sure I'm wild about this idea as I hate how IPB implemented it). Can other usergroups (including custom groups) be given access to the report area as well, including the ability to interact and comment on the reports it contains?
It is limited to moderators.

When a comment is added to an existing report, is it included with the "What's New" link? Or do staff members have to remember to check the area to determine if new replies have been made to the reports?
It wouldn't really be possible to fit it into what's new (most significantly for technical reasons), so they will have to check it if they're looking for responses. It probably wouldn't be a big issue to expose the last modified report time to the moderator bar.

Top Bottom