XF 1.4 Managing Nodes

Set the display order for the node at a number that falls between the display or the nodes you wish this category to fall in between.

For example , if you numbered all you node ids sequentially with no gaps (1,2,3,4,5,etc) the easiest way would be to first add a 0 to each of them (10,20,30,40,50,etc) so that if you want the new category to be the third node listed you could give it a display order number like 25 which will insert it there without messing with any of the other order (10,20,25,30,40,50,etc) .

Set the display order for the node at a number that falls between the display or the nodes you wish this category to fall in between.

For example , if you numbered all you node ids sequentially with no gaps (1,2,3,4,5,etc) the easiest way would be to first add a 0 to each of them (10,20,30,40,50,etc) so that if you want the new category to be the third node listed you could give it a display order number like 25 which will insert it there without messing with any of the other order (10,20,25,30,40,50,etc) .
So you're saying that the category nodes would go by 10 or..? Just a tad confused here, apologies.

Thanks!

They can literally be any number you want...by spreading them out a bit it gives you the ability in the future to insert a node in the middle of the list without having to change any other node display order numbers. I suggested increments of 10 because the likelihood of you creating ten new nodes that all must go in between 2 existing nodes in the list is highly unlikely if you board is already live.

The number itself does nothing other than set where in the list it goes...lowest number to highest number.

They can literally be any number you want...by spreading them out a bit it gives you the ability in the future to insert a node in the middle of the list without having to change any other node display order numbers. I suggested increments of 10 because the likelihood of you creating ten new nodes that all must go in between 2 existing nodes in the list is highly unlikely if you board is already live.

The number itself does nothing other than set where in the list it goes...lowest number to highest number.
Indeed, although if the category nodes int eh tree go up by increments of 10, then what numbers will the child nodes of that specific category node be? Will they go up by 1's and always start on a one when in a new child node that belongs to a different category node?

It's whatever you make them. I made a suggestion for a number though you can do anything you want...the only thing that matters is that the ones you want to appear first have a lower number.

They don't magically go up either...you will always have to set the display order you want and I'm pretty sure that when you create a new node the display order will be 1 unless you change it.

All the display order does is control where in the list of nodes contained by the same parent it will be displayed.

Top Bottom