making vB3 look modern

Awesome-o

While we wait to swing our larger board over to one of our XF licenses, we've decided to refresh some styles and haven't found anything for vB3 that looks very fresh. Minimalistic.

Have you?

I'm not even sure that is possible. Minimalistic and <insert product here> =
jimll-fix-it.webp

I would suggest a vB related forum may be of more use in trying to locate styles for vB.
I've tried there. I thought I remembered someone's vB forum getting some nice comments here... couldn't remember though.

This forum is rather well-stocked with leading edge admins.

I managed to make vB4 look modern with this interesting new colour scheme...

Come to think of it, there's something vaguely familiar about those colours, but I just can't quite think where I've seen them.... :whistle:

Come to think of it, there's something vaguely familiar about those colours, but I just can't quite think where I've seen them.... :whistle:

That for me is far from a modern look no offence mark. If you would have said bloated and unnecessary I probably would have agreed but colour changes and a few replicated instances whilst looks good on xenforo doesn't necessarily mean it'll work and look right on another platform. I still stand by my original remark I made years ago "You can dress a pig how ever you like but it's still a pig". <insert 2cents image here>

I recognize K-9 of course but who are the other two?

Jimmy fix it. :p

That for me is far from a modern look no offence mark. If you would have said bloated and unnecessary I probably would have agreed but colour changes and a few replicated instances whilst looks good on xenforo doesn't necessarily mean it'll work and look right on another platform. I still stand by my original remark I made years ago "You can dress a pig how ever you like but it's still a pig". <insert 2cents image here>

None taken. I know you've never been a fan of my design changes to vB4, which is fair enough.

I can only do so much with it with the constraints of the system and also what my users want (if I had my way I'd do away with post icons for instance). I've tried minimalising the interface before, and it just causes complaints so I am constantly trying to compromise.

I'm in no way trying to suggest a few colours can make a site into XenForo. What i do firmly believe though, is that the tweaks I have made to the stock vb4 design make it cleaner and neater than the default.

None taken. I know you've never been a fan of my design changes to vB4, which is fair enough.

I can only do so much with it with the constraints of the system and also what my users want (if I had my way I'd do away with post icons for instance). I've tried minimalising the interface before, and it just causes complaints so I am constantly trying to compromise.

I'm in no way trying to suggest a few colours can make a site into XenForo. What i do firmly believe though, is that the tweaks I have made to the stock vb4 design make it cleaner and neater than the default.

It isn't that I'm not a fan of your design changes, fair play to you for making them, i just don't think they work well when everything around them (vbulletin software and it's bloated features) doesn't make this an improvement for example the post icons next to the lastposter avatar on index, it just looks odd and doesn't work well amongst other stuff.

If you like the changes & think they are improvements, that's the main thing and all that matters. Though since you posted it I commented my opinion.

It isn't that I'm not a fan of your design changes, fair play to you for making them, i just don't think they work well when everything around them (vbulletin software and it's bloated features) doesn't make this an improvement for example the post icons next to the lastposter avatar on index, it just looks odd and doesn't work well amongst other stuff.

If you like the changes & think they are improvements, that's the main thing and all that matters. Though since you posted it I commented my opinion.
Yes the posticons I mentioned above. I did take them away but users demanded their return. So as much as I believe in clean design, it's more important to try to give the users what they want.

Same with the postbit, I removed all but two fields but a few had to be put back when people complained.

And don't even mention my attempts at the avatar box, which I (and quite a few other people) thought looked good but got universally panned by my members. Hence it went back to normal.

I don't think it looks as modern as you think however I can see exactly why you're doing what you're doing. The way I introduced my members to XenForo was by posting some little screen grabs of buttons etc and switched to using the XenForo smilies (By Shelley [Thank You]), by the time I switched everyone was looking forward to the change.

Keep up the good work Mark.

Also mate I'm just waiting on final confirmation from vB support about transferring my licenses away so that's me now out of the game with them.

I should have said "more modern". The point is it suits my site and it's a lot better looking than a default vB4, but it still retains the "look" of vB4 - you can easily tell it's vBulletin, and that's deliberate.

How well it works with the XF colours is open to debate - however those colours have simply been applied to the same design I use on the site in my various other colour schemes.

I like it, much better than the old reddish look you had hehe

Top Bottom