Making Money from Adsense

If you made $4,800 in one month, next time you want to see if you like a new version ...
purchase another xenforo. $140
register a new domain name and setup a new webhost account. $20/month.
play with the new version there !

50% drop ?
- I wonder if that was somehow preventable ?
- do you have all those old images on your site now ? Do the old google image URLs ... direct people to the new images ?

50% drop ?
- I wonder if that was somehow preventable ?
- do you have all those old images on your site now ? Do the old google image URLs ... direct people to the new images ?

visits-png.12868

I don't think so, even though the old urls are redirecting to the new xf urls, google decided to drop some of them or is using this change against me. Before converting to xf, any new posts on my site with my site keywords, would outrank those existing ones from other popular sites.

As for the images, most images are embedded, hosted by image hosts. The trick here was adding an "alt" tag to those images. Since the convertion, some old images have disappeared from search and newly added images hardly ever get indexed as I haven't found a way to add "alt" attribute to images. XenForo only adds this [img], pretty useless.

I'm not sure if people are aware of the importance of the "alt" attribute, but I did suggest it to be added here:
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/replace-alt-img.12318/

Appeal denied :rolleyes:

Ridiculous working practices if they can just outright ban an account like that for no good reason, certainly nothing I can control anyway.

What I don't get about adsense... some days I can make only $0.43... and then on random days I will make $8.16. Its not like that good day had anything special... it didn't have more clicks or pageviews than normal.

What I don't get about adsense... some days I can make only $0.43... and then on random days I will make $8.16. Its not like that good day had anything special... it didn't have more clicks or pageviews than normal.
Have you looked to see if you have any targeted advertising (in the old interface, AdSense Setup >> Ad Review Center; in the new interface, Allow & Block Ads)? Advertisers can 'target' your site to run ads, in which case, it's on a CPM (cost per mille [1000]) basis instead of CPC (cost per click). Oftentimes this results in higher overall eCPM (estimated cost per mille) (or RPM [revenue per mille]) because you're getting paid per 1000pageviews instead of individual clicks, particularly if you have a high rate of return visitors, rather than a more transient visitor who comes in from a search engine.

In the beginning (6 years ago) our earnings varied wildly from day to day. They still do really, but it's much more predictable now because I have 6 years of data to analyze. I know which days earn well for us, and which don't (and I know when it changes due to seasonal variations). Unfortunately for us forum-owners, UGC (user generated content) is devalued by many advertisers, but that's hopefully changing. Having content other than just UGC on your site, and prominently displayed is important if you want to attract advertisers who pay well.

Also, being in a high-paying niche is good - gaming sites, music sites, auto sites and many entertainment-based sites, as well as sites whose primary audience is outside the US just don't pay as well - the advertising money just isn't there. Additionally, know that your members are not your clickers. The more 'stickiness' you have (i.e. lower bounce rate), the more likely you've got the majority of your traffic from returning visitors (you can track this through Analytics) and sadly, the less money you're going to make from AdSense (in general; there are, of course, exceptions). First time- or one-time-visitors who come to your site, and get distracted by 'the shiny' in the form of an ad are the ones who are clicking on those ads, and probably upping your bounce rate to a degree, and decreasing the time on site. So, having a high bounce rate and low time on site can actually be a good thing, if you're looking to earn money from your site.

When talking with advertisers about your site, de-emphasize the 'forum' and emphasize what you're bringing to the table in terms of content. When writing that content, take a quick look at the keyword tool in Google's AdWords interface to see what keywords pay well. I am NOT saying to write for the search engines, but an awareness of whether 'truck' or 'trucks' is a higher-paying keyword will get you, well...higher paying ads. Simple common-sense.

Just .02 from someone making a living doing it...

You people make so much with adsense I am embarrassed to even have a few dollars in my account. I've had my account for years and have only made a few dollars.

No, I don't really think that - you're putting words in my mouth. But I do know for a fact that many advertising networks (likely those based in the US) deal primarily with advertisers in the US and don't value overseas traffic as highly -it's not speculation on my part, it's based on actual conversations with networks and advertisers. That's not to say that ALL overseas traffic is worth less, and certainly if you're based in the UK and you are working with UK advertisers, then you're probably not going to deal with the same issues, but I'm telling you what I know from my experience with AdSense and other networks.

Thought I'd finally give AdSense a go after 3 years of running a site without adverts.

Put lots of conditionals in place so only the basic members and guests see the ad's.

Just 3 weeks after opening my account I've received an email from Google stating that it has been disabled because it "poses a risk of generating invalid activity".

Of course I won't get any response from Google as to exactly what that risk is, so that will be my first and last foray into pay per click advertising.

brogan what do you think is the cause of the ban?
is it the if conditional code that
its for show to guest only and not for all?

Showing ads to guests only is totally fine. You can't have more than 3 Google ads on a page, but if you take that into account when setting up your ad placement it's no problem at all.

My best guess on forums that get banned so quickly (and it's TOTALLY a guess) is that it's caused to overenthusiastic members. If one or more members take it into their head to click ads like mad, they can easily get you banned for click fraud. It's absurdly unfair, but things like that happen. :( I really think they shoot themselves in a the foot when they jump the gun like that, but, for some reason, they don't ask ME for my opinion.

Appeal denied :rolleyes:

Ridiculous working practices if they can just outright ban an account like that for no good reason, certainly nothing I can control anyway.

I know, it's really amazing how easy Google AdSense appears to ban peoples accounts. You don't know what to believe sometimes, if people are telling you the whole true story. But the same thing keeps popping up, invalid clicks from 3rd parties getting them banned. It's a bad situation to be faced with as a large community owner relying on that income generated to keep their forum going. All it takes is another person jealous of your board, or even a competitor to start click bombing away and get you banned from AdSense and also most likely removed as a forum competitor after that.

Seeing as most very large forums need that money made to carry on going.

Showing ads to guests only is totally fine. You can't have more than 3 Google ads on a page, but if you take that into account when setting up your ad placement it's no problem at all.

You can have more than 3 on a page if your mixing in text links ads, along with with regular banner ads. Did you also know you can show AdSense on 404 Error pages?

I dont click my ads, lol now you guys got me worried about getting $30 so fast.

Well that does sound like a lot in one month looking at the size of your forum. A hell of a lot in fact. What mod are you using to click them? :ROFLMAO:

You are welcome. There's lot of things you can do with your Adsense accounts like listing which domains are allowed to run ads under your account, block out competitor ads, get your channels placement targeted by Advertisers, review targeted ads etc.

I just added my sites tro the authorized list and already have this one showing up as unauthozized. Would it be Ok to allow it?
translate.googleusercontent.com

I would think so being it is a google website.

I just added my sites tro the authorized list and already have this one showing up as unauthozized. Would it be Ok to allow it?
translate.googleusercontent.com

I would think so being it is a google website.

Ya all of google's domains are fine.

Top Bottom