XF 1.4 Make user group dependent on email verification?

jflory7

Hello XenForo forums,

For my xF installation, I have a third-party service that checks my user table to see if a particular user exists. If they do and they are in the "Registered" group, it will give them perks on this service.

However, I don't want newly registered users being moved to the "Registered" group until after they have confirmed their email (i.e. so until then they are in the "Unregistered / Unconfirmed" group. Is this possible in vanilla XenForo? If not, is there an add-on or tweak I can do that will allow me to do this?

Cheers,
- jflory7​

I don't want newly registered users being moved to the "Registered" group until after they have confirmed their email (i.e. so until then they are in the "Unregistered / Unconfirmed" group. Is this possible in vanilla XenForo?
Yes. Just setup a user group promotion to your "Registered" group based on user state = valid.

In the default setup for XenForo (ie no add-ons required or 3rd party services used), as long as you have "Enable Email Confirmation" ticked in ACP > Options > User Registration then newly registered members will be in the Unregistered / Unconfirmed group until they haven't confirmed their email address via the link sent to them in the validation email.

If this is not happening with the 3rd party service you are using (amember by any chance?) then you need to raise this with them.

In the default setup for XenForo (ie no add-ons required or 3rd party services used), as long as you have "Enable Email Confirmation" ticked in ACP > Options > User Registration then newly registered members will be in the Unregistered / Unconfirmed group until they haven't confirmed their email address via the link sent to them in the validation email.
This isn't correct. Users are never put in the unregistered group. They just effectively get the permissions from it when they browse.

This isn't correct. Users are never put in the unregistered group. They just effectively get the permissions from it when they browse.
Sorry, I thought this was the case, particularly as the term "unconfirmed" is in the user group name. It's a little confusing that unconfirmed members get their permissions from a user group that they are not in.

Yes. Just setup a user group promotion to your "Registered" group based on user state = valid.
And so now the only way for any user on my forums to become "Registered" is by having a valid email address, correct? I added the promotion, but I still wonder how it will work with primary / secondary groups.

why not just make a new usergroup called "validated users". Next, make a usergroup promotion to move users with a "valid" state to the validated users group - if you tell the promotion to change their primary group then you can point your external service to check that new group, instead of registered.

why not just make a new usergroup called "validated users". Next, make a usergroup promotion to move users with a "valid" state to the validated users group - if you tell the promotion to change their primary group then you can point your external service to check that new group, instead of registered.
I don't know why I didn't think of this – I will try this. Thanks!

Reactions: Rob
Top Bottom